Removing hard drive MR-8 hd/cd instructions (since USB won't work)

Jcl2012

I'm working with a friends mr8 (firmware vers 1.03) and tried to get the data out via usb on 4 different computers (2 pc's and 2 macs...with xp and mac10) and the usb either sends an error message (usb error) or not recognized at all. The only recourse seems to remove the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure or connect an adapter and transfer to my pc. However I can't find any instructions on how to do this. Could anyone suggest where I could find a basic way to do this? Thanks

I do not have the service manual for the MR8 but I do have the MR16 service manual if that is of any use.
You have tried WavManager to get at the files?
Try "Fostex Archive" in the search field top RH corner, I remember an article on dismantelling the MR in there.

I do not have the service manual for the MR8 but I do have the MR16 service manual if that is of any use.
You have tried WavManager to get at the files?
Try "Fostex Archive" in the search field top RH corner, I remember an article on dismantelling the MR in there.

Yes I've tried wavmanager but the fostex drive never shows up. Are you suggesting i just search for Fostex Archive without other words? I did that but got many pages. The mr16 looks quite different but I would appreciate seeing how they suggest removing the hard drive. Of coourse I'd prefer to see how its odne on the mr8 but so far no luck. Thanks

Of course there are many pages. The Fostex forum was a busy one! I suggest you take time to scan the pages to see if there are any posts relating to your problem.
I have the page describing how to remove the back of the MR16 (which I will send you if you PM me with your e-mail address) but, as the machines are a different size and design, may not be of much help.
Does anyone have the Service Manual for the MR8 who can get a copy to Jcl2012

Thanks for the offer to help. With my low level of expertise and that it's not my machine I'll feel more comfortable undertaking it when I see instructions for the mr8.

Sorry I could not have been more help. I have a folder of User Manuals for Fostex machines but it is not as complete as I would like. The Service Manuals were even rarer.
I hope you can find someone who has a copy and is prepared to share it.
Are you in the USA? There is a company in London who may help if you are UK based.

Although I'm normally in the USA I'm in Germany right now. I can't believe that we could find no solution to the USB export problem on the web and now unable to get basic instruction on taking the hard drive out. For such a big company and for something not so unusual it shouldn't be like secret info?

Try SCV London (+442084181471) (in UK 02084181471) This is the service dept. for Fostex and they may be able to help or even offer an instruction book.

Thanks. I'll give them a call. Now, after reading another article on another machine, I'm not sure if I'll see anything to read on the hard drive.One guy said the hard drive is in a proprietary format.

Back