Recording without a good amp

RTWmaniac

Hey everyone,
I want to record guitars using my USB interface. I have a Marshall Valvestate amp head (people say it sucks... it sounds ok to me but I'm not a guitarist), a Radial JDI passive DI box, and no speaker. I also use a mixer to record my keys through so it's available for the guitars if needed.

My question is what's the best approach I should take to recording guitars with what I have? What should my setup be? I'd rather not drop a lot of money with this, but I might be willing to pick up one of those amp modulators, like a POD or something like that... but I don't know if I really need one if I have the Marshall amp and the DI box.

Unless the Marshall has a 'Line Out', using a DI is no better (or worse) than plugging straight into the USB interface. You can buy a speaker, and a mic, and mic the speaker. Or try a Line 6 UX2. I don't know how your computer will get along with two interfaces and related drivers, since I haven't tried that. If anyone knows, I'd sure like to know as well. My guess? You have to disable and enable the interfaces according to which one you want to use.

The Valvestate I had was buzzy but yours may differ.... Take it to the music store and tell them you're trying out cabinets. See if you like the sound. If not trade it on a POD.

I'm not sure about the solid state but most times you need to have an amp connected to a speaker or a dummy load or risk frying the amp.You should never turn on an amp without having a load on it.

First time poster here, and I have no affiliation with Tech 21 (just so this doesn't sound like spam!). Get yourself a tech 21 British pedal for Marshall sounds. I have their TM 60 amp which has direct outs, I get Fender, Marshall and Voxish tones out of it. On a whim I bought a British pedal, it's really a classic Marshall in a box for the home studio. Very believable, and very easy. Go to the Tech21 site and check out the sound samples. You can get the pedal used for around $100-$120, new around $150 so it won't break the bank.

I'm not sure about the solid state but most times you need to have an amp connected to a speaker or a dummy load or risk frying the amp.You should never turn on an amp without having a load on it.

Solid state isn't as fussy as a tube amp. You can always make up a cheap dummy load if it worries you. But to my understanding, tube amps don't like to see an 'open' while solid state doesn't like to see a 'short'.

Solid state isn't as fussy as a tube amp. You can always make up a cheap dummy load if it worries you. But to my understanding, tube amps don't like to see an 'open' while solid state doesn't like to see a 'short'.

yep ....... you never want to run a tube amp with no load ...... generally SS can be run just fine with no load.

What DAW are you using? I was amazed how amazing the new cubase 6 amp simulator sounds. I use it in mixture with micing amp and amp simulator. fantastic results my friend

Back