Recording Video w/ direct Audio?

pianoman1976

Hello,

I was wondering how I can create a video of my keyboard playing with the audio recorded directly? Do I have to buy a camera that has audio inputs, or is there an inexpensive solution to this?

Is there some way I can record into my DAW while simultaneously shooting video, and then sync the audio to the video using a some sort of video editor?

How is this typically done?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering how I can create a video of my keyboard playing with the audio recorded directly? Do I have to buy a camera that has audio inputs, or is there an inexpensive solution to this?

Is there some way I can record into my DAW while simultaneously shooting video, and then sync the audio to the video using a some sort of video editor?

How is this typically done?

Thanks

I know little about video production, but this method should work: Record yourself on video, at the same time record the audio into a DAW. Transfer your video to the PC and insert it into windows movie maker (or equiv.). Silence the video's audio, and load the recorded audio over the top. From here adjust the starting time of the audio in the video program until it is in synch with the video camera.

Fairly simple really.

I believe I've answered you on another board, but:

Record into the daw at 48khz (standard final rendered audio-for-video file is 16bit/48khz)
If you don't record at 48k, the audio might not sync to the video.

If your camcorder has an aux mic input (usually 1/8"), you can take the outs of a mixer and use a (whatever the mixer plugs are) to an 1/8" stereo adapter cable.

Recording separately to the daw will give you a lot of capability.

You will need a video editor..... I HIGHLY reccomend Sony Vegas Studio Platinum ($60).
Cheap, ultra easy-to-use. It will even let you use your audio VST plugins.

^^ What Tim said.

However, you don't need yo record the audio at 44.1. With Vegas, it somehow knows what is what and it all lines up nicely. However, it is a good idea to record audio with the video as well as good audio separately, and give yourself some good cues so that you can line the two up together ok.

Once you are happy with this, you can throw away the audio recorded with the video and keep the good audio.

I record bands full multitrack in clubs and video at same time. I simply sync it up by eye in moviemaker later ,works well and is really pretty easy

Thank you everybody. I checked out Vegas, which really looks like a great program yet I am going to attempt this with iMovie first as I cannot afford to buy anything at the moment.

I've already hit a small snag in that iMovie will not import the video format from my camera. I'm using a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W1 still camera that also shoots video. It's not the greatest, but it's all I have to work with right now.

It looks like I'll have to buy a registration key for Quicktime Pro so that I can reformat my video into a iMovie friendly format.

:)

iMovie... oh, you should have said you have a Mac (we're not psychic about your equipment).

Vegas is PC Windows only.... you're going to have to use a Mac solution.

Back