Recording Trombone and Need Help!

cjlb78

I'm using a Beta 57A and Focusrite 2i2 recording into Reaper. I have the gain as low as possible on my DAW but it's still too high. Is moving the instrument further back the only solution?

Using that same mic you could move your horn off-axis to one side, trying different angles to get the levels you need. I would start with 90 degrees then adjust the angle from there.

Last edited:
I suspect the line input (TRS of the combo connector) will be padded down substantially*. You could try a XLR-F to TRS adapter. Alternatively, you could buy an inline pad.

[Edit] *Looks like the TRS is about 13 dB less sensitive.

[Edit 2] This spec sheet is for the third generation model. The first generation sheet specifies the minimum and maximum gain, from which you can calculate a 50 dB range. The third generation sheet shows the range but not the actual amount of gain, though it does specify maximum input levels. Still, in both cases you can deduce a 13 dB difference in gain between mic and line.

1663529543789.png

Last edited:
I suspect the line input (TRS of the combo connector) will be padded down substantially*. You could try a XLR-F to TRS adapter. Alternatively, you could buy an inline pad.

[Edit] *Looks like the TRS is about 13 dB less sensitive.

View attachment 121523

I'm using a Beta 57A and Focusrite 2i2 recording into Reaper. I have the gain as low as possible on my DAW but it's still too high. Is moving the instrument further back the only solution?
If this is a first generation 2i2 then this is a well known problem. For some reason Focusrite regularly bring out preamps that can't handle the sort of levels you'd expect to encounter in a normal recording environment. They fix it with the next model, only to break it a few models later. My Saffire Pro26io has the same issue - as do some of the Octopres from that era. I'm surprised that a company which is supposedly known for the quality of their preamps can make such a basic design error.

As Boulder Sound Guy suggests, an inline attenuator is an essential piece of kit for anyone using one of these preamps.

With brass and dynamics close in the SPL can be so great that going into the input for the guitar is really worth trying, if you have an XLR to ¼" Done it plenty of times with 57's. Trumpets can be the worst offenders. Ear damaging close in. 57's seem to be able to cope, and condensers rarely can.

It's possible that using an XLRF-TS (rather than to TRS) cable would knock off another 3 dB. It "probably" won't cause it to hum.

Back