Recording small rock band with iPhone

DrGregC

I am looking for the simplest, not the most complex, solution. When my 5 piece cover band (lead & rhythm guitars, bass, drums and single vocalist) rehearse in our basement space (a finished room with carpeting & good acoustics), I am often asked to make a simple recording that we can all reference for learning purposes. I simply place my iPhone 13 on a table in the middle of the room and press record on the MusicMemos app. 90% of the time this produces not only a useful reference for our song ideas, but also quality good enough to listen over the Bluetooth connection on my car stereo. When the session is over, I can easily send the recorded files by text to my bandmates. I want it to remain that easy.

Even though we are not a particularly loud band, we sometimes overload the recording process and the result is distortion, especially noticeable with the vocals. It has been suggested to me that I buy an external microphone for my iPhone. I see many choices. The Shure MV88 (for iPhone) seems to be the best option, but it has been discontinued. I like the features and form factor of the Zoom iQ6 and iQ7, but the reviews are mixed. What is the simplest and best choice to improve my recordings?

Those Zoom mics look like a good solution*. I have a Zoom H5 that has a virtually identical X-Y mic, and I use it to record audio to use when I'm recording video of a live performance. The built-in level control should solve the overloading problem if you set it correctly. *But they use the Lightning connector and I think iPhones are switching over to the USB-C connector.

I am looking for the simplest, not the most complex, solution. When my 5 piece cover band (lead & rhythm guitars, bass, drums and single vocalist) rehearse in our basement space (a finished room with carpeting & good acoustics), I am often asked to make a simple recording that we can all reference for learning purposes. I simply place my iPhone 13 on a table in the middle of the room and press record on the MusicMemos app. 90% of the time this produces not only a useful reference for our song ideas, but also quality good enough to listen over the Bluetooth connection on my car stereo. When the session is over, I can easily send the recorded files by text to my bandmates. I want it to remain that easy.

Even though we are not a particularly loud band, we sometimes overload the recording process and the result is distortion, especially noticeable with the vocals. It has been suggested to me that I buy an external microphone for my iPhone. I see many choices. The Shure MV88 (for iPhone) seems to be the best option, but it has been discontinued. I like the features and form factor of the Zoom iQ6 and iQ7, but the reviews are mixed. What is the simplest and best choice to improve my recordings?
I have a Shure iM2X p which is brand new - and you can have it - you would just need a 32pin to Lightening adaptor - which is $10 on Amazon.
iM2X-large.jpg

51SsV5s5wpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a Shure iM2X p which is brand new - and you can have it - you would just need a 32pin to Lightening adaptor - which is $10 on Amazon.
iM2X-large.jpg

51SsV5s5wpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Sounds like the Tascam iM2X is the perfect solution... and the price is right! Please PM me with shipping details/costs. Very kind of you. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1
Despite the kindness and good intentions of Papanate, the TASCAM iM2x (30-pin connector) would not work with my iPhone 13 (Lightning connector). I contacted TASCAM and they responded - The iM2X does not work with newer iPhones, it only works with older iPhones that use the 30 pin connector.

This brings me back to my original question. Does anyone on this forum have experience with using add-on microphones with their current generation iPhones? I was looking at the Zoom iQ6 and iQ7, in addition to the Shure MV88. Any help is appreciated.

Using any regular cardioid microphone like a shure sm 57 or 58 fed through any of these below will give you gain control and the ability to eliminate the distortion...the 2 channel can provide a stereo recording for the iphone.

1686243890046.png

The one snag with the iPhone with built in, or external sources is the auto level control - it's very easy to overload them with loud music and they sound really rough then. There doesn't seem to be any form of real gain control - just a volume adjustment, after the preamp and that's too late for the distortion.

My son in France has sent me a recording of the band he plays bass for and it was done with a Tascam Pr40 X 'hand held' recorder.
I shall have to dig out the .wav and convert it to MP3 and attach it...please bear with...

Dave.

There you go. The singer is the lead guitarist and the drummer has a minimal kit. Son is on bass G through a Hartke 100W combo.

The Tascam was setup some mtrs away in the flat where they practice. Son says the attached mics were set for ' Crossed I pair'.
He has sent me a few clips of the band over the weeks and this is probably the best recording yet. I personally cannot stand the music so making a fair judgement is very hard!

Dave.

Attachments

• Ivrogne Dernier Take kick cut.mp3
    11.3 MB
The one snag with the iPhone with built in, or external sources is the auto level control - it's very easy to overload them with loud music and they sound really rough then. There doesn't seem to be any form of real gain control - just a volume adjustment, after the preamp and that's too late for the distortion.

I think you are onto something. "Rough" is a good description when the auto level is overloaded. The external Zoom iQ6/7 microphones both have level controls and there are LED level indicators. Not sure if that would help to prevent overloading the iPhone. Thoughts?

So I record my little "one shot live" videos on my iPhone and plan to (Hopefully) do a bunch more this year...I use a Behringer 1204 usb to run my keys and microphones through and have zero issues with controlling the volume to my iphone audio on the video I shoot..What I hear in my headphones is what is going to the iphone.

The mixer adds that extra level of being able to monitor what is going in rather than the usb connectors I posted previously...The Saramonic options I posted previously gives you the control over the volume going in...just no way to monitor it that I know of ( there is probably a way)

Here's the mixer I use.. A little tricky figuring out what buttons to push up or down to get the usb out and be able to monitor but once you get it, it works great...
1686750758365.png

Below as an example is one I recorded live and direct through the Behringer

Last edited:
With either one or two mics into this one will get you what you need for volume control ( and ability to monitor) into the iphone via usb to lightning cable (Apple issued)

1686750583976.png

With either one or two mics into this one will get you what you need for volume control ( and ability to monitor) into the iphone via usb to lightning cable (Apple issued)

View attachment 130545

If you read my original post, this all much more complicated than what I am looking for - the ease of simply using my iPhone with better (stereo) microphones and a way to limit the input volume (LED's and headphone output). The Zoom iQ6/7 both have these features but no one (so far) has been able to report any field use. You are very knowledgeable about the technology and the end result is excellent! Thanks.

Reactions: TAE
There you go. The singer is the lead guitarist and the drummer has a minimal kit. Son is on bass G through a Hartke 100W combo.

The Tascam was setup some mtrs away in the flat where they practice. Son says the attached mics were set for ' Crossed I pair'.
He has sent me a few clips of the band over the weeks and this is probably the best recording yet. I personally cannot stand the music so making a fair judgement is very hard!

Dave.

Adding the Zoom iQ6 to my iPhone should give very similar results with the added benefit of being able to immediately send the file by text to my bandmates. The crossed microphones in his TASCAM DR-40X are the same as the add-on TASCAM iM2X that Papanate was kind enough to send me. I am wondering whether the very similar Zoom iQ6 would produce the same results.

Reactions: TAE
Adding the Zoom iQ6 to my iPhone should give very similar results with the added benefit of being able to immediately send the file by text to my bandmates. The crossed microphones in his TASCAM DR-40X are the same as the add-on TASCAM iM2X that Papanate was kind enough to send me. I am wondering whether the very similar Zoom iQ6 would produce the same results.
Got it....Yeah that IQ6 looks like the ticket for you

Back