Recording Problem Help Required Please!!!

SCI

sup... i got a rode nt 1 mic and a behringer mixer and a recording soundcard. the quality is good but its on S words and SHHH type of words its very sharp and hurts ears when playback. is this problem to do with how close i am to the mic or the controls on the mixer or the settings on the soundcard. what shall i do to rectify this problem.

SCI......

also if you send a copy off to get mastered which has these words in quality like this would they be able to make it so i wouldnt sound sharp and would it sound cd quality.

i done a track with this setup to listen to it go to www.soundclick.com/sci its called CANT SEE WHAT I SEE and tell me what im doin wrong please.

Someone else probably has a better answer but from what I've heard around here, that is the norm for that particular mic. Try a de-esser. Or maybe a different mic

Once again, there is probably a better answer out there but I'll try. It's a device that acts like a compressor but only on high frequency material. Actually, you can use a compressor with an eq in the side-chain.

SCI said:
if i sent my track off to get mastered would they do this so it sounds cd quality?

CD quality is a relative term. You could easily pay 1000 bucks to get one song mastered and I'm sure they could get it sounding better, but you realy need to take care of it in tracking.
A desser would work, like Handawg suggested, also you could learn to swallow your S's while singing. Thats what I do. Also you'd probably be OK by cutting a little of the highs during mixing.

im a rapper so its harder to swallow shit. can you link me to a deesser and how much do they set you back how do u set them up etc.... more info please.

thanx

SCI...........

Your problem is called sibilance. It can be a sound that's just there, and can also result from actually blowing toward the mic. Start with a pop filter, which probably won't help much, but may decrease actual wind/breath turbulence hitting the mic.
Now to the real issue. You have to make less sibilance, pick up less sibilance, or try to electronically reduce sibilance.
#1.- Hey it's *hard* to have something else to think about while you're performing, but if you really want to be a recording artist, learn! I will often turn my head a little off axis (at an angle) when I hit that "sss", and as someone else suggested, "soften" or back off from that "SSS", don't hit it hard. Learn to control your position relative to the mic, and your vocal technique to get a better, cleaner, raw track.

#2.- Get a new mic, then get a pre or a new mixer. I can think of no combo better designed to produce harsh sibilance than an NT-1 into a Behringer board! Try a dynamic mic. For cheap, SM-57. For not so cheap (~$280), try a Shure SM-7- very nice. When money becomes available, get a pre with some EQ, such as a Joemeek, and roll off your highs *a little*.

#3.- Use a de-esser. This is available as a computer plug-in, as a specialized rack mount unit, or more commonly, as part of a multi-FX unit. Any vocal processor or good reverb unit is likely to have a de-esser setting. This is not the big cure it sounds like, and your hiss may still be there, so deal with it. On the rare occasions I use a de-esser (I'd rather just not hiss), I use the De-esser setting in my reverb unit, a TC electronics M300.

Start with #1, then consider #'s 2 and 3.

And can you use money to make tracks sound "CD quality"? No.
Only *you* can sound CD quality. But money can make your tracks better. The hard part is to take away bad sounds without taking away good sounds that make your music sound alive. The better your sound is to begin with, the easier, quicker, and cheaper remixing is. It requires good ears, and a hell of a lot of gear. Yes, people with wicked EQ units and great ears can improve your sound a good deal. However, the bottom line is if the original source material sucks, it will probably always suck, no matter how much money you throw at it. I'd rather use half of that money to get better sound, and make the mastering engineer's job as easy as possible. That way, I get to keep more gear. Hope this helps.-Richie

Back