recording on 4200rpm harddrive

teddyastuffed

hey everyone! i got an ibook g4 and never really had interest in using it for a daw simply because i got a custom built desktop at home that is MUCH faster/better suited for recording. the problem is, im off at college and dont have my desktop anymore (except on weekends)! so pretty much ive considered using my ibook g4 (which ive upgraded the memory in it to 1 gig).

i realize its not going to be able to handle all the stuff i do on my desktop, but id like to at least get basic lay downs then do all the mixing at home on weekends. i do a lot of midi sequencing (actually most of my work is midi sequencing unless im using samples or creating samples). then that comes to the harddrive...

my ibook has a 4200rpm harddrive and im computer savy enough to be able to upgrade my hd to a 7200rpm drive, but that shit is EXPENSIVE and with the ibook g4s, its a REAL hassle (u literally have to tear apart the ENTIRE notebook to install a new hd...)!! so pretty much i have an external harddrive that i can use for audio. im just wondering this...

when i put cubase sx3 & reason 3.0 on the ibook, should i install the actual programs on my external harddrive or should i install them on my ibook harddrive? i realize putting all the audio samples and what not on the external will make a world of difference when working with multiple tracks, but how does the harddrive get affected when working with soft synths, other vsts, and various effects?

thanks for any help/input!

Back