recording my schools stageband. suggestion needed

tojo

Hello. Soon enough I will be recording my jazz band at my school for a project. I'm looking for techniques and advice on recording the band live. The band includes, electric guitar, keyboard, bass, drums, a section of trumpet/trombone players, a section of sax players and percussion / vibes

here is my gear:

a fa-101 8 analong input firewire audio interface
logic express 8
macbook
a mixer to feed the 6 individual 1/4 inch inputs at the back of the fa-101
mics:

2x behringer c-2s
2x Apex 180s
1x At 2020
1x Sm57
1x Apex 435
1x m-audio sdc pulsar

Do you think I should just use 2 mics and record the entire band with just those mics? the rooms acoustics are pretty decent?

what about a more advanced set up such as :
-recorder man method on the drums (eitherusing the c-2s or the apex 180's
-the other two matched sdcs that weren't used on drums used in x-y positioning on the whole band out front with the conductor positioned high off the ground
-eletric piano line in
-bass line it
-sm57 on guitar amp
-pulsar on soloist
-apex 435 on percussion such as vibes etc...

would there be phase issues with this set up?

would i be better off with a simpler setup such as:
-2 sdc room mics positioned in stereo xy
-line in bass
-line in keyboard
-line in guitar? (or miced?)

if you need more info I'd be glad to provide it.

thanks.

I'd try recording a rehearsal using two mikes (sdc). walk around the room while they are playing and find where it sounds best to you. The other way would take a lot of set up (especially the drums if they were set up like a jazz band on a stage). I could be fun if you had a lot of time though.

I would think simple.

Two SDCs in XY somewhere out in front, roughly where you would find a conductor.

The internal balance of the band should be evident at that point.

You should be able to make a highly credible and representative recording doing just that.

now the question is, if i go simple, what mics should i use for the xy?

the behringer c-2?
the apex 180s?

if you have a suggestion or know anything about either mics let me know.

Like others I would suggest spending time getting the placement of the main stereo pair right, however there would be no harm in using up the rest of the inputs (probably exactly in the way you described). You can always discard stuff from the other channels or keep it low in the mix if the main stereo pair turn out good, but you can never get it back if you don't record it in the first place.

Back