Recording Music on a Video, from a Voice Recorder

Abstract

This may not be the Norm! but I'm interested in recording Background Music onto a Digital Voice Recorder, and then playing that Music into my LG V30 Phone while it is shooting a Video! which hopefully will result in a Video with that BG Music! ...My question is, Can this be Done? ...and what type of Recorder, and Connector cable would I need?

It would be much better to just record the video, dump that into a video editor like Davinci Resolve, then replace whatever audio track you have with the background music you want. The quality should be much better than trying to play back on a voice recorder and record it with a cellphone microphone.

There are video editors for android phones, which should accomplish the same thing. I've never used one, so I can't vouch for the quality and usability of any of them. Just search for android video editor.

^^ what he said.

Your method is probaly do-able, but it is unlikely to be as satisfactory as you might expect.

It would be much better to just record the video, dump that into a video editor like Davinci Resolve, then replace whatever audio track you have with the background music you want. The quality should be much better than trying to play back on a voice recorder and record it with a cellphone microphone.

There are video editors for android phones, which should accomplish the same thing. I've never used one, so I can't vouch for the quality and usability of any of them. Just search for android v
That may be true of the Audio Quality! but not the Video Quality! every time you export a video, through any type of editor, you lose considerable Image quality! I think most of these recorders have an output jack where I thought I might be able to use a 3.5mm right into the phone jack? I thought maybe someone here might have done this! I guess I'll just have to buy one and test it! You might be right the audio quality may be lacking!

Last edited:
Image quality is not inherently degraded on exporting (or importing) it. Quality depends on the frame rate, resolution and megabytes per second, all of which are controllable within any respectable video editor.

Start with a good quality setting for the video and render it to a good quality setting. That will minimize degradation. That's how video is done.

It’s an idea more likely to be horrible than good. The reason we all use editors is to at the simplest, trim the video start and finish, so while you do that, add the audio because you can adjust in up and down in level. One of the biggest issues in the comments on you tube is that the sound is poor, or the music drowns out the speaker or the speaker is too loud. Picture quality comments are rare. everyone is an audio expert.

analogue video was low quality, 240 line resolution at best, linear editing resulted in a one generation loss which was just about tolerable. Then we invented digital and there is no quality loss. Copies are clones. Going into an editor is not the issue. Quality changes as said, come from conversions of standards. Going in as .mov the outputting as .mp4, or converting interlaced to progressive - these things change quality, but the question is can you even see it? Sometimes is the answer, but that usually means you were too radical. Squashing too much to get a small file size, maybe?

with your idea here, quality of the recorder is the key. Voice recorders rarely are designed for maximum quality.

Well I certainly can't disagree with any of you fellows! I am far from an expert on Video editing! and it may very well be something I am not aware of that I'm doing wrong! Probably changing the size of the video when I should be sticking to Native Format! My main interest is to get quick clips with BG music for social media, and I thought this recorder idea, might be a shortcut! but if not I will have to go the conventional road with the video editor! BTW I'm using something called VSDC Pro version editor, I hope it's not the worst of the editors out there! ...Thanks Again to all of you!

Not familiar with the LG phone, but with the iphone, there is a video editing app (free) where you can do exactly what you are asking to do. Something like that would be the right solution. Or, in the social platform, there might be a way to add your BG music. It would be better than holding a voice recorder to the phone while videoing.

Also if it's of any use here is a screenshot of the exporting control Panel. I experimented today with exporting in the same MP4 format using that Quicktime Icon, and I have to say! the video is quite good with the additional audio track on board! I seem to remember in the past when I made some changes to clarity or contrast, I then exported to MP4 and the file grew to double it's size for some reason? but as I said! I was probably doing something else wrong! ...Thanks again for all your Help John

VSDC Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Not familiar with the LG phone, but with the iphone, there is a video editing app (free) where you can do exactly what you are asking to do. Something like that would be the right solution. Or, in the social platform, there might be a way to add your BG music. It would be better than holding a voice recorder to the phone while videoing.
Yes I would never have been on here if I had an Iphone! ...I found an Iphone video, by which you Start your Music, then Open the camera, hold down the still photo button and then slide your finger over the Video button, the video starts running while the Music continues to play and records with the video!

Last edited:
Just as FYI... Most video today has a 48k audio track, not 44.1 which is the CD standard. Just about any audio editor will do the conversion, Audacity, Reaper etc. VSDC may do it on the fly. I don't know that it makes a difference for viewing on phones, but if you ever burn to DVD, you want to run 48kHz.

Just as FYI... Most video today has a 48k audio track, not 44.1 which is the CD standard. Just about any audio editor will do the conversion, Audacity, Reaper etc. VSDC may do it on the fly. I don't know that it makes a difference for viewing on phones, but if you ever burn to DVD, you want to run 48kHz.
Thanks I will make note of that! TalismanRich

To answer the OP question though doing as others have advised will certainly give you more flexibility, If your digital recorder has a usb stereo out ( don't know if there is such a thing) connect that to a usb to lightning adapter to the iphone start shooting video, start the music playing you have your background music on your video...
If your recorder is not able to send a usb stereo out then you could get a stereo USB mixer and a usb to lightning adapter...Audio source into the mixer going out to the usb out into the iphone via the lightning adapter. Start the video recording get ready to shoot , start the music you want on the video maybe with a count in so you lnow the music is going to start and film away...You will have a video with the audio you put in immediately.. The deal is either way doing the way others have suggested or this way you generally need to edit the video after the fact to start and stop the video. You just don't need to sync the video up with the usb mixer way ...This video was recorded live into my Behringer USB mixer directly into my iphone...Had I used a soundtrack instead of my live playing going into the mixer you'd hear the soundtrack...

For my solo stuff I find it the easiest way to get the job done quickly but the quality is never going to be as good as taking the mix into editing software cleaning things up and then completing.

Back