Recording MIDI with an Echo Layla 24/96

silentsky

Hello,

I've only recently begun to play around with MIDI recording, and I'm having some trouble. For my interface, I have an Echo Layla 24/96. For a MIDI controller, I bought a Behringer UMX25 USB MIDI keyboard. For my DAW software, I'm using Magix Music Studio 12 Deluxe.

My problem is that almost any time I record a MIDI passage, and then click Save, it causes my whole computer (not just the MS12 software) to lock up, and I have to power down the computer and restart.

I'm wondering if the problem stems from the USB keyboard, because it doesn't really seem to happen (at least not as bad) if I do all of the MIDI editing in the piano roll or drum editor window using the mouse.

I did notice that in the MS12 software, the Echo Layla shows up as a MIDI input device. My question is this: how do I actually use the Layla to record MIDI? Can I connect the MIDI out of the UMX 25 to the MIDI in on the Layla (instead of connecting it directly to the pc with a USB cable), and then choose the Layla as my input device? Mind you, the only connection right now between the Layla and my computer is the connection to the PCI card. I am not using the Layla MIDI out.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm totally new to MIDI, so I'm pretty clueless here.

Thanks,

Jon

Just a quick update--I was able to connect the MIDI out of the UMX 25 to the MIDI in of the Layla, and then choose the Layla as my MIDI input device in the software, which worked fine. But the problem is, I'm still getting the intermittent lockups when I click Save after working with MIDI objects. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jon

Back