Recording Distorted/Fuzz Bass

diskobox

Hello,

I usually record bass by DI'ing and Micing up the amp. What techniques would anyone recommend for recording bass when using a distortion/fuzz pedal.

thanks, ian

You need less distortion than you think.

I know this isn't the route you are going, but I have had great results on bass using a multi-band Distortion plugin. I distorted the highs on the bass, which gives it drive and edge without making things muddy.

I think it's a good idea to take a DI signal without distortion in addition to the distorted track. Most fuzz boxes suck out the low frequencies. You can blend back in some of the DI track if you want them back.

Be carefull if you plan to combine distorted guitar and distorted bass, things can get real muddy real fast. Lower notes often become garbled, slured together, or loose distinction when distortion is used on them. Keep a track with the bass clean in addition to the distorted track then blend the two tracks together, that way you can have distinct notes that growl at you in the final mix.

if you need good distorted bass inspiration look no further than young widows

www.myspace.com/youngwidows best bass tone

I second the advice to mic the amp and still di the bass.. even if you don't end up using the di at least it's there.. cause if you need it .. you'll despretely need it

i run the signal out of the bass into a distortion pedal then into the DI box. I get some pretty good results. Better than if i were to add distortion to the track after having recorded it clean. Although i think that actually micing a distorted bass amp would work out better if you have a good room. I don't, therefore i di.

Be carefull if you plan to combine distorted guitar and distorted bass, things can get real muddy real fast. Lower notes often become garbled, slured together, or loose distinction when distortion is used on them. Keep a track with the bass clean in addition to the distorted track then blend the two tracks together, that way you can have distinct notes that growl at you in the final mix.

I totally agree here, a fuzzy bass sounds great with clean rhythm guitars for a rock vibe, but adding too much distortion really makes things messy. But I dont know really what Im doing here, its all been explained perfectly above.

Back