recording book wishlist

Pitseleh

my birthdays coming up on the 22nd and most recording equipment is too expensive to ask for. So I'm going to be asking for recording books/dvds. Please tell me if you guys know of any well written entry to mid level books/dvds. Any info on books would be helpful. thanks!

The forum offers more tips and tricks than most books offer combined. So do your self a favor and read more from the forum. That will save you some money to buy real equipments. Good Luck.

bob katz's mastering audio is a good read, but possibly get it from a library for a while rather than buy it (ive only read my copy fully two times)

you could look at "mix it like a record", its got a great reputation and if youve got a form of protools its especially useful

Behind The Glass is a really interesting read.

I got a book for Christmas that I've read some bits and pieces from thus far called Understanding Audio. It's by Daniel M. Thompson and is published by Berklee Press. I've read that its actually used as a textbook at Berklee, for whatever its worth. I think its a fairly new publication, and its pretty in-depth (plenty of math explained within) AND it covers analog and digital recording, which is a pleasant surprise.

Behind The Glass is a really interesting read.

I got a book for Christmas that I've read some bits and pieces from thus far called Understanding Audio. It's by Daniel M. Thompson and is published by Berklee Press. I've read that its actually used as a textbook at Berklee, for whatever its worth. I think its a fairly new publication, and its pretty in-depth (plenty of math explained within) AND it covers analog and digital recording, which is a pleasant surprise.
+1 on the "Understanding Audio" Daniel Thompson book. I think that it's about the best general, all-around book out there on the subject right now. Others may be better at this or that, and worse at this or that, but overall, this is my fave of the current bunch.

G.

Mixing with your Mind by Paul Stavrou

80 bucks?! That's a bit steep for a recording book. Does it come with audio examples? How can we know it's worth it? I checked out the web site and it looks interesting in the $30-50 range.

Rich

I found this very helpful when I was starting out. If you are using samplers. etc., it may not be of much help. If you are recording real sound in real acoustic space, however, it can be quite useful. It is conservative and a lttle dated on specific mics, and references proven studio workhorse (expensive, as a rule) mics. People on this board will help you with more affordable alternatives to the badass mics in this book. What it will do is give you a good primer on basic mic types, and how to place them to record whatever you got.
I suppose it should be noted that several years after starting out with this book, I own a few proven studio workhorses. I guess it affected my choices along the way. I do however, own quite a few cheaper mics, many of which were recommended by people on this board. Good Luck-Richie

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Microphone-Techniques-Mix-Audio/dp/0872886859

P.S.- The time you spend with some of these good books may end up saving you thousands in the long run.

80 bucks?! That's a bit steep for a recording book. Does it come with audio examples? How can we know it's worth it? I checked out the web site and it looks interesting in the $30-50 range.

Rich

I got the book for Christmas a couple of years ago. IMHO it's worth the 80 bucks. You will learn how to make audio decisions for yourself.

I really like "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook", by Bobby Owsinski. The Bob Katz mastering book is a must-have in my opinion. These two books will keep you busy for a while!

Back