Recording Bluegrass Band-Need Help

What format are you recording too? what kinda set-up are you working with ala...console...monitors...etc etc.....prying minds want to know........

What format are you recording too? what kinda set-up are you working with ala...console...monitors...etc etc.....prying minds want to know........

Cavedog, I am recording to computer using Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 audio cards (4 of them), I use Samplitude software for tracking, mixing, mastering, burning, etc. For preamps, I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, a Presonus MP20, an ART Dual MP, and the preamps built into the Aardvarks, and I have a DBX 166 XL compressor. For monitors, I have a set of Event 20/20 BAS, they are pretty nice.

This may work......

Beta 52 on bass

sm57 on banjo

c-1000 on mandolin ( a friend of my, who runs sound for tons of bluegrass bands, used this mic on his mandolin and it sounded great. his set up was: (1) akg c-3000 in the middle and (2) c-1000s on each side. then he would have the band play that way. it had a great sound to it but, if you want more control over the sound, then you may want to mic each instrument.

You can use the mxl603s for the guitar (place e'm at the 12th fret)

and for the vocals, well, the audio-technica or sm58 should do good. make sure that you record the instruments first and then record the vocals. (I'm shure that you already knew that :) )

zeke

Back