Recording bass guitar

Hehe, I've actually done the opposite before. I can't play guitar to save my life, and my guitar's intonation is totally fed up. So I just play all the single note guitar parts in my home demos at half speed on my bass (thank god for Reaper's speed bar!) then playback at normal speed. I then either reamp it into my Music Man amp or just do Nigel or something.

Lemmy does not approve of this thread.

Lemmy.jpg

Hehe, I've actually done the opposite before. I can't play guitar to save my life, and my guitar's intonation is totally fed up. So I just play all the single note guitar parts in my home demos at half speed on my bass (thank god for Reaper's speed bar!) then playback at normal speed. I then either reamp it into my Music Man amp or just do Nigel or something.
That can be fun too! It'll let you fake some virtuouso shit. ;) My music is usually so slow already though that half time becomes very tough. In fact, there have been times when I was forced to record a scratch track at doubletime so I could have some reference for the other tracks.

It's actually pretty amazing how much a varisped electric guitar really does sound like a real bass guitar. You lose the top octave - mostly just pick attack, string rattle, and "zing". It's very much like switching from a single coil to a humbucker. Otherwise, though, it's pretty convincing as long as you play it like a bass. I can see where recording in double time might be a problem for the metal crowd!

If the OP ever comes back around - the MIDI coming out of Melodyne says what note and (maybe? hopefully!) how hard. For that reason, it works best to simulate instruments who's articulations are limited to those two parameters. That means keyboard instruments, hammered instruments (xylophone, marimba), and - to a somewhat arguable extent - drums. And synths, of course. To the extent that the sound you're trying to emulate depends on more parameters than this you will always be compromising. Well, I suppose it's a compromise begin, but if we're talking about minimizing the damage...

As long as you're happy with very simple, consistent, Bomp Bomp Bomp kinda stuff, you should be able to get pretty close with a decent VSTi bass guitar, as long as you treat that like the sound coming out of the bass itself. Compress and EQ the way you would with a real bass. Run it through an amp either in meatspace or ITB. And don't hope to sound like anything spectacular.

But we don't actually know what kinda music you're trying to make. You said you were trying to get the sound of a bass guitar. Maybe you can replace it with something else? The doors used an organ bass, which is exactly the kind of thing that MIDI does very well. A Rhodes doesn't actually get down into the rumble bass area, but it's lower register can sound pretty good for certain things. Or maybe what you really need is a 303?. :) Heck, even Tuba and Baritone sounds can work as long as you play within their natural range and don't get too fancy.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. I personally wouldn't use any of the straight realtime pitch shifters that I own for any attempt at clean, natural bass. Some are better than others, but the good ones are very latent (only a problem if you want to hear it while recording) and they all impart nasty artifacts. One can embrace those artifacts as an effect, but it's definitely not appropriate for everything, and almost never good without some pretty severe treatment downstream.

Enough distortion will fix just about anything.

Edit - the title of this thread should probably have been "faking bass guitar". I think folks were excited to share tips and tricks. When I want to (and can) record a bass guitar, I plug it in and hit record.

A good trick to use, maybe trick is the wrong word, but a good addition, record the bass normal and support it with a synth bass. If your bass is to boring, add in some side chaining, use the synth and some MIDI effects to give it some pop and jump.

I think a good bass (I mean good bass, not thump, thump, thump) is an art and a true talent. I can see folks like me, who can't really play, but need to fill in the bottom, but want more, try to come up with tricks and other methods.

I agree best thing to do is learn the bass. But in the interim, there can be ways to give it some flavor.

I have played bass for about six weeks less than I've been playing guitar, and about a week longer than I've been recording. I sometimes record things that don't need bass guitar, or need something else down there. Lots of other people do, too.

IM here just forgot to check back. i forgot i made the post.
OP will not buy a bass as he is simply here to tell you that he can make bass sounds using his geetar and pirated software. He's not looking for suggestions he's looking for compliments on his technological wizardry. Applaud the genius!

If the OP can afford melodyne or any of the other software for that matter he can afford to buy a cheap bass to DI.
I don't mind experimentation but for most things I consider music a bass is a bass unless it's a double bass.

The point is, Studio One Pro comes with a version of Melodyne. Is has been cracked and available to those with no moral focus. I am not judging or making an accusation, but funny a purchase of a cheap bass guitar is not an option. May not even be relevant here. Smells like a duck though...

I play bass and always like what I hear when I play it. :thumbs up: Actually my real problem is playing all those other instruments properly. And as an afterthought, you never appreciate the bass until
it's missing!

what ways do you guys record bass guitar? right now i have to use melodyne and record the track on guitar convert it to midi and use that to create the bass track. im thinking of switching to using a midi keyboard.

Hi Kyle, the guys are working you over pretty good here, don't let it get you down :~) I agree with all of them get an inexpensive bass like my 'J' Bass copy. I record on a Tascam DP-02 and found that if I have an tone on my bass it records muddy. I found to put the treble 100% and sweeten things up during the mix where my bass stays more defined. Hope this helps.

I found to put the treble 100% and sweeten things up during the mix where my bass stays more defined. Hope this helps.

This is spot on, I have never used the tone control on anything but 100% treble on every passive bass I have played both live and recorded. Always 100% treble and then use the tone controls on the amp, simulator, or in the mix down process.

On Active basses I always use the tone control neutral as 100% would supply a treble boost (most cases).

Alan.

I'm thinking the other way around. I'm a bassist and need to create some guitar sounds for the chorus part of a song I'm working on (also my first real take at mixing- I use Ableton, Focusrite 2i2 and a Behringer DI). While I have an option to borrow a friend's guitar, I'll have to delay the recording by a couple of months..and so I'm thinking of just using my bass to record those guitar licks. I have two options to do this.

Bass>>DI>>Focusrite>>Ableton

1. Now in Ableton, I can transpose, push it up an octave and load Guitar Rig. I tried doing this yesterday but wasn't too happy with the sound.

2. I can slice the bass audio track into a midi, change the pitch and then load GR on it directly. This turned out even worse than the first option IMHO.

Is there another inexpensive way of doing this ? I'm looking for a light guitar distortion tone which will supplement the 2 bass tracks and drum track that I have.

You can buy a REALLY cheap guitar delivered in Australia for $80 or less these days.
I bought one just to see how bad it was & it's isn't TOO bad.
Some fret endss need to be filed a bit as one or two stick out enough to catch some skin but the neck is OK, the PUps are cheap but work and it feels ok. Not my go to recording guitar but when I do want a little Tele type guitar it'll do.

A cheap bass.

Although I have to admit, I'm recording a band in drop fart tuning and decided a bass VST was going to work out better (if anyone knows a bass that will stay in tune in drop G let me know). I hope this trend of trying to tune your guitar into the depths of Satans asshole dies soon. It sounds fucking stupid.

Back