Recording Audio from LCD/TV to Mac?

Phreesoal

I'd like to record audio only from my Sony LCD/TV to my Power Mac G5. Specifically, I want to record the audio from the TV part of the monitor (TV shows, etc). The Sony LCD/TV model number is MFM-HT75W. The software I'm trying to record in is Rouge Amoeba Audio HiJack Pro but I'm open to trying something else if needed. I have my Mac audio out port connected to a Yamaha MG 12/4 analog mixer and from the mixer, I have Mackie HR monitors connected.

What sparked this desire is a cousin of mine who let me hear some of his audio recordings this week from his home TV. I have to say, they have a CD-quality sound, everything was clear and the EQing was done well. He said he records the audio from his TV and uses a $30 PC-based program he got from Best Buy years ago to clean up the noise and it works well for him.

Here's my confusion - I have (1) headphone connector, (2) audio/video connectors and (2) PC type audio in connectors on my LCD/TV. I am not sure which connector I should be using, but I will say, the only connector that I can hear audio OUT of is the headphone jack, when I plug it to my Yamaha mixer.

I've attached a pic of the audio/video connectors on my LCD/TV. I couldn't get a shot of the AUDIO IN connectors, but they are both 1/8":

MFMHT75W_6.jpg

What I've tried thus far is connecting the two audio jacks (independently) from the pic to my audio in and audio out jacks on my Mac, but I heard nothing with either attempt. I tried connecting the same two jacks from the LCD/TV to my mixer directly but again, heard nothing. I then tried connecting the 1/8" audio IN jacks (independently) to my Mac's audio in and audio out jacks. Again, nothing was heard when this was done. Last, I tried connecting the same 1/8" jacks (independently) to my mixer directly and heard nothing

How do I get this connected properly to record to my Mac?

Thanks!

PS

Phreesoal said:
What I've tried thus far is connecting the two audio jacks (independently) from the pic to my audio in and audio out jacks on my Mac, but I heard nothing with either attempt. I tried connecting the same two jacks from the LCD/TV to my mixer directly but again, heard nothing. I then tried connecting the 1/8" audio IN jacks (independently) to my Mac's audio in and audio out jacks. Again, nothing was heard when this was done. Last, I tried connecting the same 1/8" jacks (independently) to my mixer directly and heard nothing

When you connected the RCA Audio OUT (TV) to the MAC Audio IN, did you change the settings in the AudioMidi setup (Hardrive>applications>utilities>audiomidi setup)?

dwillis45 said:
When you connected the RCA Audio OUT (TV) to the MAC Audio IN, did you change the settings in the AudioMidi setup (Hardrive>applications>utilities>audiomidi setup)?

I did not make any changes in the Audio MIDI setup application when I tried that connection. I left the Audio MIDI "System Settings" default input and default output both to BUILT-IN AUDIO. For the Audio Input, I left it to "Line In" and for the Audio Output, I left it to "Line Out."

What should I change it to if I reconnect in this manner?

PS

Phreesoal said:
I did not make any changes in the Audio MIDI setup application when I tried that connection. I left the Audio MIDI "System Settings" default input and default output both to BUILT-IN AUDIO. For the Audio Input, I left it to "Line In" and for the Audio Output, I left it to "Line Out."

What should I change it to if I reconnect in this manner?

PS

I'm using an iMac G5 and an iBook so I don't have the exact same setup. But, I would try setting the Sytems Settings>Default Input to Line IN if that's available. I would also set Systems Settings>Default Output to Line Out--again if that option is available and you are routing sound out to your mixer. If you are listening on the builtin speakers, leave that setting to Built-in Audio.

This may seem obvious but make shure that your TV's RCA jacks are actually RCA OUT. Some TV's don't have RCA Audio OUT unless the manufacturer envisioned some type of add on speaker. If they are actually audio IN, you won't be able to export audio to your computer.

Also make sure that you have the proper cable. The G5 audio input jack is a 3.5 mm miniature phone jack. So you would need a male 3.5 mm plug with two lines ending with RCA male plugs. This may be difficult to find since apple jacks (no pun) are sometimes proprietary and might be unavailabe at the local Radio Shack. I would do a google search for "RCA to 3.5 mm stereo plug."

In case your curious, the complete Apple G5 audio specs are available in a developer note on the Apple site:

http://developer.apple.com/document...MacG5/3Input-Output/chapter_4_section_11.html

Finally, you might also check System Preferences>Sound and make sure your inputs and outputs are correctly set and the volume is sufficiently high and the mute is off.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them all. I actually have a few cables I've tried, one of which is dual RCA to 3.5mm, one 3.5mm male on both ends that came with the LCD/TV and dual RCA to dual RCA (both males).

I'm thinking that this monitor was made to hook up to external (surround) speakers, so there's got to be another way to get the sound out besides the Headphones.

I'll post back what happens!!!

PS

Just a shot in the dark but you might also have to change the monitor settings for audio. I assume there is some type of onscreen menu where you can select audio OUT.

Believe it or not, the only audio settings I found was for SURROUND sound and there is another that escapes me - I'll check again when I'm home.

If I get sound out from one of the other connections besides the HEADPHONE to my analog mixer, how do I actually record it on my Mac? I don't have the mixer going to my Mac on an input, only one an output to hear on my speakers.

Ideally, I want to connect the TV audio to my Mac so that I can record right on my Mac, bypassing the mixer.

PS

It took a call to Sony to find out that all audio connectors I have are INPUTS only.

The only output is from the headphone connector.

PS

Back