recording as career or hobby? advise please.

pugskank

I'm 18 years old and have gotten into home recording over the past years. I finally discover a passion in my life that I would love to continue to persue. However, I am at a piont in my life where I'm off to Penn State University in August to start on a career path that has nothing to do with music or recording, but it is a major that I am interested in.

I'm not sure what I'm asking, I guess just advise and your experiences. I would like to have a job and do recording as a hobby and possibly make money doing it on weekends. Is there a balance between these two worlds? I imagine that It would be difficult to maintain a day job, a recording career, a wife, etc.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.

Good question pugs......

.........though music was my life,I always dreamed of being a pro-basketball player! At the age of 14,every day @ 7 in the AM, I was out practicing my jump-shot,dribbling techniques,defensive footwork etc.etc. At 15, I made the Varsity team at my hi-school (while playing in the school band as a bassist).Shoot, I knew I was gonna' get me a scholarship to a DIV 1 school and then go to the pros. But momma said,"Son, there's a whole lotta' great ball players on your level and even better than you,therefore keep your dreams of pro-ball, but learn something else just to FALL BACK ON!" She was right! I did win a scholarship to a small university in NYC (L.I.U),not for b-ball but for music. I majored in music and minored in Applied Business and Finance. I have had some minor, modicum of success in music and made a few $$$ as a sessionist,writer etc.but not at a MAJOR level. Just glad I learned something useful to fall back on.
Pugs, go for it! Ya' got nuthin' to lose.Just make sure, you have some EMPLOYABLE skills to pay the bills while you're attaining the goals of MUSICAL STARDOM&SUCCESS. EVEN if you have to wait tables! Just give yourself some "personal insurance" for the lean times!
N-E way,I wish the best 4 U;go 4 it! Just Be OPEN,WISE and SMART! Plan your course and don't give up when it looks bleak!
I know for sure I'm not!
Peace
Mr.Q

For the past couple of years, I was seriously getting into recording. I thought the idea of having a career in the field sounded great. Then reality hit me in the gut. I talked the idea over with several people in the music/recording industry, and was told by every source that my decision to choose recording as a hobby, and find another profession, was a very realistic goal. I even had a friend tell me that it's almost easier to make it as a musician these days than to be a prosperous engineer. As it appears to me, you really have to be the cream of the crop if you want to work in a good studio and record decent bands (no garage band crap) instead of cheapskate musical wannabes and local commercials as a career. And that won't even bring in a lot of money. So, in conclusion, I decided I should be an entrepreneur. Recording is my passion, but why should I sell myself into slavery for the sake of working in the business? I can make much more money doing something else I enjoy that doesn't take up all my time, and on the side, since I am prospering financially, I can actually afford to have a nice home studio, and enough free time to use it. Does that make sense? I'm not discouraging you if you really want to get into it. I like to keep my ambitions grounded in reality, but that doesn't mean you can't grab hold of a dream and give it your best.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but that's my ideal plan for the future.
(I just hate waiting for the day when I have enough money to build a better studio.)

Isaiah

pugskank,

You have one thing that is a huge asset right now; you are only 18 years old. You have a lot of years ahead of you.

But keep in mind the next 18 yrs. are gonna go by like the snap of a finger compared to the last 18 yrs. Life plays an unkind joke on a lot of us. When we get to be 36 we realize what we wanted to do at 18.

Take it serious now. When your 18 you feel like you have all the time in the world. You don't. I think Pink Floyd said it best when they sang:

you were young and life was long
and nows there's time to kill today
and then one day you find
ten years have dropped behind you
no one told you when to run
you missed the starting gun *insert lead guitar*

A very large portion of your life is going to be spent working. Don't EVER, EVER waste your time doing something that you don't enjoy. You shouldn't spend the majority of the rest of your life engaged in pursuits that make you miserable.

The other guys in this thread gave you some good advice. And yes, you will have to make those decisions. Choose well young friend.

Zeke

every year is getting shorter
never seem to find the time.......

the time is come, the song is over
thought I'd something more to say *insert more Gilmore filler*

Last edited:
Gilmore filler... lol.. that's funny.. "Ok this song is missing something.. what could it be.. I know! I want four bars of Walsh wankery followed by a bridge of Gilmore filler.. now give me some Axl wailing please.. <snap> <snap> come on people let's go I have a hair appointment at four!"

Ok now onto the career advice..

I'm not peeing on your dreams or anything.. but you should at the very least consider that every job has its pros and cons.. it's already been said that there's not much money unless you are well established in the business.. but there is another consideration: you won't always be working with your favorite music.. a studio is a business.. and a business needs money to stay in business.. and that means the owner of the business will want to attract recording artists regardless of the genre they play.. Now see me personally.. I could not tolerate sitting at the board recording honkeytonk or bubblegum pop.. furthermore, you are also subject to egos from the musicians to the producers, and if you can't drop your pride and let them have their way, regardless of how wrong they are.. then the studio won't make any money...

with home recording you are not subject to the whims of other people.. (unless of course you are in a band).. your studio will always be ready for you.. and you can record whatever the hell you want to record: from bathroom noises to the eggs rotting in the fridge.. and finally.. if you get sick of the hobby.. you can just walk away from it without worrying about generating any income to live on...

those are the pros to having a home studio.. but what about the cons? the biggest one is money.. this is an extremely expensive hobby.. nothing of quality costs under $100, and unless your wife is understanding you will have to explain to her why a pair of $1000 monitors are being delivered to your doorstep... the only other con that I know of is you may be sacrificing recording quality by recording at home.. but that's a small consideration, because if you like the sound of your recordings, and a professional doesn't, who cares?

If you decide to pursue recording as a profession.. more power to you! If you decide to keep it as a hobby, remember too, that you can still hang around recording studios on the weekends, going for beer runs, and still pick up some tricks without worrying about where your next meal will come from..

Best of luck

Cy

Pugs -

I think you should follow your dream. The happiest people in this world are the ones who do something that they love. The important thing, however, is that you need to understand the reality of your dream. You're doing the right thing asking these questions. Keep in mind that you're on "Homerecording.com" and not "ProfessionalRecording.com" That said, there are a few professionals on the boards.

You should seek out a lot of people who have the career you want, and ask them about the pros and cons, and what it's like on a day to day basis-- what do they like and what do they hate. That's how you get a clear picture of where you're headed.

Keep in mind that most college freshman change their major at least once during college. Also keep in mind that the average person in their 20's changes jobs every 1.1 years--I just read that one. People change their careers like they change their clothes these days (I change my clothes every Christmas).

Anyway, the point is-- why don't you look on this message board for a guy who calls himself Sonusman and send him a private message telling him you want to be the next Sonusman. Ask him what it takes and what to expect. Then find that guy Bruce who runs Blue Bear Sound on the board, and send him a private message too. Same questions. I don't know if they'll answer you, but they seem like nice guys. And most people don't mind helping out someone who's just starting out in their career path, like you. And ask them if they can put you in touch with other people in the business. Worst they can say is no.

Good luck!

Pete

Its easier to make money recording than as a guy in a band and your shelf life is much longer. Ive set up a small project studio and have been recording for an hourly wage while still writing and recording my own bands (which should be out soon...I hope you all buy a copy ,,,, the future of music - post grunge electronica ;) )

For me the critical thing here is to be able to sell something other than my "studio" as Im not competing with the big boys who have wasted millions on excess gear so that they can lure some failed home recordists who throw their hands up in futility when their second mix doesnt sound like -____ band that it was supposed to sound like. I sell my producing abilities my creativity my years of songwriting experience my proficiency at the drums and keyboard (at no extra charge) and my friendly easygoing nature to regular people. :) (not so common in this business) It helps to have released a couple of solid records as reference even if only locally.

A key thing is to establish a niche for yourself .... to develop a bag of tricks that are your own. I dont know how youre configured but in general to be successful at anything you have to have a high level of motivation. Every area is competitive and the guys who really dig what they do will always win over guys who dont. I have a degree in economics and psychology from a first tier school and have spent time in corporate america and as competive as that is music is more so but the bottom line in every area is the same... if you really got the goods then you will prevail. You just have to come to terms with what prevail means in music...it doesnt mean rich and famous it means living modestly doing what you love.

If you have above average talent and have applied yourself in more than one area, are thorough, charge very reasonable prices and can get the job done I dont see why you cant make a living wage doing what you love. You will probably not be well off. You may always make lower middle to middle class money but youll be a living a life that youre into and thats worth more than any salary.

Let me see ---- that is, if you are willing to accept some advise from an old engineer with 3 sons :)

You obviously have a good set of brains, or you wouldn't go to Penn State, and you are interested in the major you are planning to persue. Do it. There is a lot of merit in the "got something to fall back on" thing, and also a lot of truth in the statement that most people your age will not end up doing what they studied for.

I'd like to throw in some extra stuff:
- Don't expect to become a recording engineer and get rich.
- You will make a living at it only if you have a good dose of natural talent for it; a natural 'ear for music', the right left/right use of brain combo, and a healthy dose of fanatical passion for it.
- Top engineers don't spend a lot of time at home. I gave up for a number of years because I never saw my wife or kids. Nothing you'd worry about now but...... Have your own place, so you can work from home? Doesn't matter, same thing.
- I don't know a profession with a higher divorce rate.

Go to college, do your major, get some gear and record. Perhaps you can even earn some $$$'s doing it. Get to know how good you can be, get some practise. When you remain passionate, after your major you'll know what you want to do with your life.

The divorce rate in the U.S. is over 50%. The odds ain't good no matter what you do.

Unless you do like me and never get married. Then your odds are pretty good against getting divorced. ;)

JuSum - its a simple fact.

I think its difficult to combine the crazy hours with a normal married life.
lets look at 'normal' when I'm recording:
6 or 7 days a week, normally from around 11am until around 12am, which, on a project, can go on for 6 to 8 weeks easily, sometimes for 2 to 3 months. Then a couple of days off, then the next client really likes to work from 2 pm untill 2 am etc etc etc.

I hear that but as the economy moves more toward the free agent model, those late hours become more matchable to a spouses. The key is to find someone who is a freelancer who can set their own schedule. (Look for writers, tutors, consultants, designers, rich girls, etc. :D ) Whether Im gigging or recording .. nothing happens before noon or 1-2pm and then goes till the early morning hours. That being the case, theres all morning to spend with my prettier half. Kids are a dif story. I havent figured out how thats gonna work. Thing is Sjoko, you gotta take 1 day a week off....7 days a week???

thanks for all the feedback. I don't believe that I've read a string with more lengthy replies, but that's a good thing. I'm glad to hear that a lot of you do it for a hobby. That is really the path I wanted to take. My recording passion stems from songwriting and the need to create lasting recordings instead of having a great idea fade away. I am working hard right now as a summer job to pay for college and have a full time girlfriend of 2 years, I find it hard to find time to record now. I get home at 11pm usually if I want to record something, a couple tracks here and there and before you know it, One song has taken a month, and I still want to make changes. I don't think I could ever completly finish a song personally, I am always thinking of ideas to change something. I'm also glad I'm starting at such a young age and buying stuff now while I don't have bills to pay.

Thoughts? Comments?

Q: I would like to have a job and do recording as a hobby and possibly make money doing it on weekends. Is there a balance between these two worlds?

A: Sure, you can do that. Lots of people do that. Recording is great fun. As long as you're single, it's pretty easy to maintain a 'normal' career, music and home recording, and have a great time doing it. As far as money making potential, well, it's 'possible',... it's not impossible, but how much money you can make would depend on a lot of things.

I, personally, don't think of music or recording as a money making venture at all, just the opposite, it's a very, very expensive, very worthwhile hobby, to which by now, I've dumped tens of thousands of dollars into, I'm sure. I haven't stopped to count.

Also, being in the recording industry is fine for some people, and there are jobs out there, but money making potential might not be too great, at that. I think, that unless you're considered a top engineer, or recording top talent, the money you'd make on average might not be that high. Lots of people work in the entertainment business for free, just trying to get a break.

-------------------

Q: I imagine that It would be difficult to maintain a day job, a recording career, a wife, etc.

A: Well Spunky, you really sounded like you had it all goin on, until you got to "a wife, etc." Why'd you have to go & ruin a perfect plan? HAHA. The "wife", whoever the lucky girl may be, will have to be understanding about your musical aspirations.

If she's really not behind you, that you want to play & record, then eventually something will give... either the marriage or the music hobby/career.

That's just life, man, so be prepared to have some women you may meet be basically against the whole music and jamming thing. They may give you all sorts of reasons, or head trips why they don't like your jamming, or want you to play, but it all adds up to one thing, no two: 1) women like this are insecure, and 2) women like this are attention whores... Actually, those 2 things are the same thing. Basically, any girlfriend, fiancee or wife that doesn't accept that you'll spend lot's of time and money on this music/recording thing, will be incompatible. Ok? Don't say I didn't 'tell you so'. I'm twice your age, I know, accept this at face value.

Find a wife who's supportive of your musical/creative side, and you'll do ok. Find one who can play drums and sing at the same time in harmony, and you'll be even better!

Now, ..."a wife, etc.",... the "etc" part is "kids". Once you have kids, it's a lot harder to maintain an active role in music/performing/recording, but... it's do-able. It's very do-able.

FYI: I was faced with the same questions, a long time ago. I'm 39, almost 40. I opted to go with the 'straight' and solid career choice, and never regretted it.

I started playing when I was 13. I bought my first 'nice' guitar when I was 21. Since then, I've accumulated an awesome home studio, full of great stuff.

When I was single, I was in bands, and we played out. I was recording people as a 'budget' independent producer... trust me, there's no money in that. I did it just for fun, in the long run, I did recording projects for people 'gratis'... that means 'free'.

After kids popped up, it was a little harder to maintain a manic pace, I stopped playing in bands or playing out, but I've continued playing and home recording the whole time. I'm the most jammin' dad on the block, and certainly the biggest 'recording mogul' on the block! Haha.

Yes, it can be done, but it takes desire to follow your dreams, an understanding mate, and money. Find a well paying career or trade, outside the recording industry, and you'll probably do much better, than trying to make a living in the music/recording industry.

I feel I did just that. I have a good job, and I've always had money to spend on my musical and recording stuff. I've never regretted having a great, steady job. 19 years at the same place, as a friggin' computer repair/support engineer, and sure, a normal job and life takes time away from music/recording and art, but it also helps you get to where you're going, in life.

PS, go ahead & smoke as much pot as you want, as you possibly can, but stay away from most of that other shit that's out there.

a wife with leverage

Another kind of girl that will make a good home rec'r wife is one who has a hobby that is just as time consuming and/or expensive.. My wife collects cookie jars, dolls, and other junk.. this allows enough leverage so that I don't really have to explain why I'm buying outlandishly expensive boxes with nobs and dials.. Plus she doesn't get all weepy when I've spent large portions of the weekend in my studio... If she feels neglected.. she just buys stuff..

Of course.. the downside is that you may need to have some decent income in order to fulfill both sets of interests.. that's where dual incomes and stable careers can come in handy..

And since I've got kids, I never seem to have enough time to fully play around in my studio.. which means I don't get burnt out and lose interest in music like I might have if I took it as a career..

Back