Recording a band...Drums first?

Hell, RUSH did their last album drums last. All instruments were done to click tracks. If you are good enough, you can do it and preserve the excitement. Fairly new bands tend to generate the excitement when playing live only. Experience will change that.

I don't try to push a click on any band.. I always suggest it and at least get them to try.. but you have to understand at least (and i might be generous here) 50% of your clients won't be great musicians at all. For every good musician/songwriter/band there are 10 terrible ones.. but they all want to record and try to make it. In a perfect world I'd love to only work with real talented people but that's not a reality. Amazing musician or not you should always treat them with the same kind of respect because in the end they are clients"

As far as recording order.. it does depend on the band/song but I don't care how good of a drummer you are...if you're a human you're going to push and pull the timing a little bit and that's a good thing in my book.. (if you want "PERFECT" drummer use a drum machine or program them yourself) for this reason I think it's best to record drums first. Then the guitars and bass can play to something that's more natural then "click click click click"

alot of times i'll get the bassist and guitarist to do a ghost track to a click for the drummer .. then record their "real" tracks after the drums... works well again depending on the situation.

1.Click Track 2.Drums First

This thread is hot! Alot of different views and opinions. Ideally you should record drums first. If you record it later there is a good chance that the kick drum and the bass guitar won't lock up properly together on all the accents.

A click track? If you are serious about getting a top notch recording than you should use a click. Thats not to say you can't have a great sound without but the editing capabilities and attention to detail associated with a click far out way the "emotion" and "feel" of an out of time track.

This Works for Me

Using my eight real time inputs with everyone in the room looking at each other:
6 mics on drums
1 bass -- direct; can go back and use an amp if needed.
1 scratch vocal - standing in the corner and singing softly into a 58 so not to bleed into other tracks
Guitarist plays along through an amp sim into the monitor mix but not recorded; record later with his marshall stack or whatever; can add keyboards to the monitor mix as well.

What I end up with is a drum track and possibly a usable bass track and hopefully capture a basic rhythym track that captures the band playing as they are used to -- together with visual cues, natural dynamics, etc. Seems to work even with my limited resources.

ALBERTPIKE said:
Using my eight real time inputs with everyone in the room looking at each other:
6 mics on drums
1 bass -- direct; can go back and use an amp if needed.
1 scratch vocal - standing in the corner and singing softly into a 58 so not to bleed into other tracks
Guitarist plays along through an amp sim into the monitor mix but not recorded; record later with his marshall stack or whatever; can add keyboards to the monitor mix as well.

What I end up with is a drum track and possibly a usable bass track and hopefully capture a basic rhythym track that captures the band playing as they are used to -- together with visual cues, natural dynamics, etc. Seems to work even with my limited resources.

I like the idea of folks playing in the same room at the same time whenever possible. How about 5 mikes on drums and you record a direct out on guitar that you could later reamp? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Otto

Back