recording 2 guitars

troglo

Hi guys. I have a Tascam 424mkII (got no manual) and me and my band always record this way: All the drums directly mixed to track 1, bass on track 2, guitar on track 3 and vocals on track 4 (check it on mp3.com/rostoff). But what we are trying to do is to record two guitars, not at the same time, both on track 3, but the first one to the left side and the other one to the right side. Is that possible? How can I do it?

When you pan the tracks on the final mixdown,
if the two guitars are to be separated they have to be on separate tracks to begin with, which means that one of the other instruments has to be panned along with one (or both) of them or you have to mix two of the instruments you're used to giving a separate track. It's like a cannibal and missionary
problem. And after listening to your .mp3s, that sounds like a great title for your next tune... :)

Yeah, you really can't record that 2nd guitar later -- not the way you're doing it. You've got to mix something together (e.g., bass and 1st guitar) the first time around to free up a channel for the overdub of the 2nd guitar. Sounds like you need an 8 (or 6) track recorder. The good news is that they're getting cheaper...

hey you could record you're second guitar at mixdown but you would have to have someone mix while you play the part other than that you're kind of stuck.

Try recording the bass and drums and then bouncing the 2 tracks to a single. then you will have 3 tracks available for the 2 guitars and vocals.

Back