Recorded a ska/punk band

jmxdrummer

I recently recorded a punk ska band. They posted some of the songs on their myspace page. Im still working on both songs, but I needed some input of the songs (PC415 and Babies, Guns). Im am not happy with the songs but the band liked them.

I would appreciate any advice.

thanks

http://www.myspace.com/pc415punk

This sounds like a board tape to me.

Drums are too quiet and inarticulate. Vocal is buried. Horns are indistinct and the Bass is mostly invisible.

Ya Guey features out of tune clean guitars, and all of the nits above, yet remains my favorite of the three.

I don't know how to fix this, I'd be looking at a re-record.

Try to work on gain staging and get a strong and well-balanced mix/tone from each instrument before you combine them.

thanks for the input. I had the band pull down the songs. Quite frankly, they sucked. I can probably salvage the drums, and guitar. I going to suggest to them to record the vocals.

I decided to record them again next month. I am ditching my current recording set up of the m-audio 1010 and behringer preamps, and purchasing either a firepod or firestudio next month. I have been fouling myself thinking that I can have a good recordings with my current set up

Work on your technique and get plenty of practice.

I've heard decent mixes come from of the cheapest, crappiest equipment available short of buying it from Radio Shack. I'm not saying that your equipment's not to blame in your case. I don't know enough about it. But 99% of the time I see someone blame their equipment, it's not the equipment's fault.

ETA:
I didn't get a chance to listen to your mixes before they were pulled down, so I'm not even saying your mixes were poor. I can't comment on that. I'm simply saying that you should be careful before you put a stack of money into new gear before you have the knowledge and technique to pull a good recording job off.

the best thing i could do if it was me recording them, is find a band they like, and something they sound similar too,and use that as a guideline to fallow. at least to start.

Ive played ska-punk for more than 11 years so I know the genre pretty well. You guys in Riverside have the best ska-punk band ever (Voodoo Glow Skulls). From what i hear, the guitar chords and the bass line are playing a different things, they just don't sound right. I think its savable what you have, but i would definitely re-record the guitar and the bass.

thanks for the input guys. I kind of rushed the mixing on the two songs. That was my first issue. I remixed the songs, they sound considerably better but they still sound dull. It just doesn't sound clear enough, even after doing an EQ sweep on each instrument. In addition I been using the mixing Engineer's Handbook to help eq each instrument. I just purchased a firepod which should have better preamps.

In conclusion, I failed to mix the songs properly but the nady preamp used gave me muddy sound recording during tracking.

thanks again

Guitar sounded out of tune

ya kinda. ive been in my ska band for years now, and we don't sound like that lol. im use to clean tight consistent up strokes. and a solid bass line, where the bassist try's to fallow the kick drum. i think the main this with the recording is, it seems so...lacking in something mostly due to the performance and tuning. being slightly out of tune and sloppy makes all the diff' in the world.

Back