Recommendations needed for upgrade to SM57

charliefreak100

Hi

I'm new to this forum, but would appreciate any advice I can get.

I make educational videos, and currently use the following to record audio:

SM-57
Focusrite 2i2 preamp with USB link to...
Audacity on my Windows laptop

I have two problems with this setup. In order of importance:

1. The sound is too harsh and sibilant for my taste. I have quite an 'essy' voice, and it seems really sharp and piercing. I'd love to get a smoother, more natural sound from the mic.

2. The nature of the videos means I can't get really close to the microphone. As a result I have to have the gain on the preamp up to full. I get quite a bit of noise, which I'm guessing is coming from the preamp, which I have to remove in software. I was thinking of trying to solve this with a cloudlifter to boost the gain cleanly.
(QUERY: Could this noise be caused by the xlr and/or USB cables?)

So, I'm looking for upgrade recommendations... here are the parameters!

1. I think I need to use a dynamic mic... I'm recording in an untreated room and need to eliminate as much room noise as possible
2. I could spend up to about $400 total, though obviously less = better!
3. I've considered trying a headworn mic or lav mic. This would mean I could control mic placement much better whilst recording these videos.

OK forum hive mind - GO!

Many thanks
Charliefreak

Why is it that you have to be so far away from the mic when making your videos?

If you can wear a mic I would suggest a lav or headworn.

I don't know if you can get a good quality headworn mic for $400. I think most of them are wireless and require a transmitter to go with them.

The Sennheiser MD421 perhaps. Or maybe something even smoother, like a ribbon or a slightly rolled back condenser - though I'm aware you don't really fancy one.

What is the nature of these videos you make? Are you in picture or strictly voice-over? There are those portable vocal booths available if you want to eliminate the room as a factor.

Back