Recommend a mic?

Fantastic_Mad

I'm just recently starting to get into the whole home recording thing, could anyone recommend a mic that I could use to mic my guitar amp and also possibly use for recording vocals? Or is it just a better idea to have a mic for my amp and one I use to sing with? Thanks.

I second the Audio Technica 4033 recommendation, if it fits into your budget. It's $300, a medium diaphram condenser, and it is also great on acoustic guitars. You WILL need phantom power for a condenser mic.

A shure SM-58 or Audix OM-2 are two choices that would work for guitar amp and vocals. Both are dynamic mikes that sell for $100 and can be useful as your studio grows. The OM-2 has the same internal capsule as the more expensive Audix D-2.

Here's a sleeper...a used EV RE16...

Pay 50-75 bucks if you can...they are out there for that, even on ebay...

Great on amp cabinets (mic of choice for a lot of cabs), and it reminds me of a U87 on vocals (same bumps)...

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com

littledog said:
L.D. You crack me up!

Fantastic_Mad; If your just starting out, Get yourself a pair of Shure SM57's. Its a studio staple, you'll always find uses for it, it's practically indestructable, many "classic rock" recordings have been done with it, and I think its against the law to not have one if you record music.

Michael Jones said:
If your just starting out, Get yourself a pair of Shure SM57's. Its a studio staple, you'll always find uses for it, it's practically indestructable, many "classic rock" recordings have been done with it, and I think its against the law to not have one if you record music.

I agree completely. Every musician should own one. It is a standard for guitar amp micing, and passable on vocals. Not sure a pair is necessary.

You didn't say your budget, and everyone's taste will differ. But you can't go wrong with getting an SM57 and a good vocal mic. For vocals, both the MXL v67 and Studio Projects C1 get great reviews by most users on this forum. I think they both run less than $200.

You didn't state a budget, so your question is hard to answer.
Example- wicked cheap- Oktava MK319 for vocals, AKG D690 for the cab- total under $200 if you talk fast at Guitar Center.
Real man- B.L.U.E. bottle for vocals (approx. $4000) and Shure SM57 (approx. $80) for the cab. See, no matter what you do, they keep coming back to that SM-57. That's a clue.-Richie

Back