Reaper won't play recorded tracks

timtimtim

I have recently bought a new desktop. I am not using the computer sound but a plug-in USB sound unit which always worked before with the old computer. In Reaper I can record sound and replay it OK, but if I close Reaper then re-open it it says "Project Load Warning. There were 1 media items in the project that were of a type that require an extension plug-in (the instance that saved the project had the extension plug-in)" and on the recorded track it says "offline" and it won't play. Can anyone help?

I have recently bought a new desktop. I am not using the computer sound but a plug-in USB sound unit which always worked before with the old computer. In Reaper I can record sound and replay it OK, but if I close Reaper then re-open it it says "Project Load Warning. There were 1 media items in the project that were of a type that require an extension plug-in (the instance that saved the project had the extension plug-in)" and on the recorded track it says "offline" and it won't play. Can anyone help?
What is a USB Sound Unit? Is it an physical audio interface or Software? Software all bets are off - but you can try going to preferences and in the lower left corner type in OffLine - then uncheck 'Set Media items offline when application is not active' - and see if that does the trick - Reaper may set your Media offline on restart.

What file is Offline? Is it a .WAV file? .FLAC file? .MP3 file?
It is a WAV file
What is a USB Sound Unit? Is it an physical audio interface or Software? Software all bets are off - but you can try going to preferences and in the lower left corner type in OffLine - then uncheck 'Set Media items offline when application is not active' - and see if that does the trick - Reaper may set your Media offline on restart.
It is a box with audio input and output sockets and a USB output plug, containing A to D converter, D to A converter etc

I recently had a similar experience with the same Reaper response. I had downloaded several plugins for free trial periods and used them in one project to do A/B testing. Then after a period of time, I went back to that project and that's when Reaper displayed the above message. The project wouldn't fully load because one or more plugins couldn't be found.

I finally realized it had to be the free trial plugins due to their trial period having expired. Reaper wouldn't let me remove them from their FX chains at track level because they couldn't be found. So . . I had to root around in the folders and delete their .dll files along with whatever else I could locate pertaining to them.

That did it. The project was able to fully load and I could add different plugins as needed.

Hmmm. If the project itself loads (but the media item won't play), the next thing I would try is saving that project under a different name (in effect, duplicating it). Then open the duplicate project and start removing plugins one at a time - if that's possible - seeing if PLAY works after each removed plugin. Don't worry about destroying anything, you've still got the original project to fall back on.

Do you still have the old computer? Can you load the program on the old system? Are you sure the wave file was copied completely and not corrupted somehow? Can you load the wave file into a program like Audacity?

Reaper saves files in standard wave format. It also tends to be really tolerant of mixing various spec audio files, converting bit rate and multiple formats on the fly. Can you drag the original wave file into a new project? If the RPP file was somehow corrupted, you should be able to use the raw files and redo the plug-ins into a new project.

It is a WAV file
Did you save your project?
Is the wav file recorded (there when viewing file folder)? If so then wav file path is invalid in project.

Back