Reaper Project and HiRes

CoolCat

So question...
If I download a HiRes 24/192 audio from 2L and then drag it/ insert the audio file into REAPER...

do I need to set the Reaper Project settings as the same 24/192 and save-as to keep it in its original format?
or should I Render it? or how "should" I do this to preserve the HiRes Magic Water 24/192 Mozart on LSD audio file?

??? Reaper is completely non-destructive and won’t do anything to the original file. If you put it in a project with different sample rate, it will convert (“resample”) on playback/render, but that still won’t actually affect the original file. If you do something silly like try to render to a file with the same name, it will warn you that file already exists ask if you’re really sure you want to replace it.

What are you actually trying to do?

thanks for asking...

the point is simple in concept. going to 2L for HiRes files, for example a 24/192 audio file....when I download it to my pc its 24/192, when I load it to REAPER
Im not sure what to do to "save as" in 24/192 Project settings? I just want to save it as a 24/192 Reaper "song"...audio file.

then when I play it back I want the interface / headphone amp to detect it as 24/192 original.....

but what confused me is the playback became whatever I set the Project settings to and not sure whats going on to the original file when I change project settings?

thanks for asking...

the point is simple in concept. going to 2L for HiRes files, for example a 24/192 audio file....when I download it to my pc its 24/192, when I load it to REAPER
Im not sure what to do to "save as" in 24/192 Project settings? I just want to save it as a 24/192 Reaper "song"...audio file.

then when I play it back I want the interface / headphone amp to detect it as 24/192 original.....

but what confused me is the playback became whatever I set the Project settings to and not sure whats going on to the original file when I change project settings?
You have to set the resolution IN the project file. As already said, nothing happens to your original file when you insert it into a Reaper project.

The file is 24/192.

When you load it into Reaper it stays as 24/192. It plays back at whatever the interface setttings Reaper is set to.

When you save the project, you don't change the file. It stays as 24/192

If you edit the file and want to save those changes as a new file, you can use Render to do that. The file will render at whatever the render settings are set to. So there you can opt to render as 24/192.

thanks to all....

yeah Im just playing around at 2L....they have some free audio different res versions.
my players dont seem to work with my new interface so much but the REAPER talks to it, so I wanted to download some "various res" stuff and see if my interface can detect it all (somehow it does ok...and the little display will change to whatever res the file is at.)

I think I kind of understand how to use it and what is going on somewhat.
Seems with my old Line6 unit and SPDIF> Grace Design headphone amp my FOOBAR worked.....but the new Antelope works but only with my REAPER, not the Foobar or other media players.

Reaper will become my media player now for somethings. Ive got waaaaay too many files to transfer to Reaper though, so Ill keep using Foobar and VLC and Groove etc...for much of it....but the Interface doesnt change, it just sits at whatever I tell it to be.

Back