Reaper JS: RBJ 1073 or T-Racks EQ-73 or EQ 81..?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was checking out IKMultimedia's T-Racks EQ-73 Channel Strip/Pre-Amp. Then I remembered Reaper's JS: RBJ 1073 EQ (no Pre-Amp).

I almost pulled the trigger on the T-Racks last night - early this morning really because of insomnia - but decided to not make a sleepy purchase and wait 'til later this morning.

I activated a 14-day free trial on the T-Racks EQ-73. I opened a project in Reaper and soloed a bass track. Then I added the EQ-73 and JS: RBJ 1073. I dialed in a good sound on the EQ-73, then switched to the RBJ 1073. I was able to get nearly the same sound, but without the pre-amp it just wasn't there. I ran the RBJ 1073 through an AmpliTube bass preamp and that nearly matched the EQ-73.

Trouble came as I tried to push the AmpliTube's pre-amp - even the tiniest bit resulted in very quick distortion. The EQ-73 had no such problem. However, the EQ-73 did distort well above my preferred settings.

Once I got these two sounding fairly the same, the main thing I noticed about the overall sound is the RBJ 1073 is a bit rough, whereas the EQ-73 is smoother, creamier - forgiving. That smoother sound/performance is the tipping point for me, for now.

I'll play around with these over the next two weeks. I also see that Waves has their Scheps 73 - Classic 1073 EQ on big-time sale for $29.99 (down from $199) - awful tempting that one. I'll revisit that one if I'm still undecided in two weeks. Hopefully, it'll still be on sale.

rbj 1073.jpg

eq73.jpg

eq 81.jpg

Last edited:
I personally can't stand 3 band EQ's (I know that sounds stupid). Even if I don't use more bands on an instrument, I will just never call up an EQ that only has "Lo-Mid_Hi" bands.

I use the RJB 12-band, though, and I love it. It's always on my bass drum and I haven't found another EQ that gives me more "umph".

When you engaged the pre-amp on the T-Racks, did you make sure to level match? I'm thinking that a pre-amp must increase the volume at least a bit. And we all know that psychologically, louder always seems better.

Personally, I would never spend money on an EQ..or a compressor...or a reverb.....There are so many great free plugins, within REAPER and 3rd party, that I've never seen a reason to spend a penny on anything. (I have donated to a few developers).

Off topic, but I recommend checking out "Analog Obsession". This guy makes the greatest plugins, in my opinion. All free. I'm slowing migrating towards only using his plugins. My next project will most probably be all "Analog Obsession". https://analogobsession.com/

Also don't get suckered into the Waves on "Sale" stuff... it's always $29.99.
I won't 8-) It's still attractive at that price - the T-Racks is $99.99 (less my discount points = $76.99). But I'm not going to let price deter me from a better sound.

I personally can't stand 3 band EQ's (I know that sounds stupid). Even if I don't use more bands on an instrument, I will just never call up an EQ that only has "Lo-Mid_Hi" bands.

I use the RJB 12-band, though, and I love it. It's always on my bass drum and I haven't found another EQ that gives me more "umph".

When you engaged the pre-amp on the T-Racks, did you make sure to level match? I'm thinking that a pre-amp must increase the volume at least a bit. And we all know that psychologically, louder always seems better.

Personally, I would never spend money on an EQ..or a compressor...or a reverb.....There are so many great free plugins, within REAPER and 3rd party, that I've never seen a reason to spend a penny on anything. (I have donated to a few developers).

Off topic, but I recommend checking out "Analog Obsession". This guy makes the greatest plugins, in my opinion. All free. I'm slowing migrating towards only using his plugins. My next project will most probably be all "Analog Obsession". https://analogobsession.com/
I haven't gotten much satisfaction with the 3-Band or 12-band EQ's in Reaper. Of course, I'm coming at them as I would a graphic EQ on a home stereo system - not really the way I should. I haven't tried them on drums.

I didn't use any metering to level match, just went by ear so they were as close as I could perceive. Fader meter levels were the same.

I just looked at Analog Obsession. Their channel strip looks pretty good - especially the prices. I downloaded it and ran it side-by-side with the T-Racks EQ 73. The AO "Frank" strip is very close to the T-racks EQ 73. I'm hearing more in the T-Racks. . . it's warmer, cleaner and richer in the lows. Many might not notice that at all in a mix, making it a very close comparison. The "Frank" doesn't have the M/S rigging and finer EQ adjustments, but for the price it's good enough.
I'll tinker with that for awhile. Thanks for the tip ;)

I just looked at Analog Obsession. Their channel strip looks pretty good - especially the prices. I downloaded it and ran it side-by-side with the T-Racks EQ 73. The AO "Frank" strip is very close to the T-racks EQ 73. I'm hearing more in the T-Racks. . . it's warmer, cleaner and richer in the lows. Many might not notice that at all in a mix, making it a very close comparison. The "Frank" doesn't have the M/S rigging and finer EQ adjustments, but for the price it's good enough.
I'll tinker with that for awhile. Thanks for the tip ;)
Cool. I don't know anything about the EQ-73 so I wasn't recommending AO for that specific reason. But their channel strips, EQ's, and especially compressors are great. Hopefully, you find something you like.

My favorite EQ'a by him are "Fiver" and "BlendEQ".

But what do you mean by "for the price"? There is no price. They're all free, no? Or is that what you meant? Because, in my opinion, they're not good just for "the price". They're fantastic plugins, price or no price.

But what do you mean by "for the price"? There is no price. They're all free, no? Or is that what you meant? Because, in my opinion, they're not good just for "the price". They're fantastic plugins, price or no price.
Dat's what I meant :D I'm going to go back and donate something. I like to give these developers lunch money at least, if not more.

The Mixbox doesn't have the EQ 73. However, it does have it's newer brother, the EQ 81. Man, thanks for tipping me off :thumbs up:

I downloaded the 14-Day Trial for the EQ 81 and set it up side-by-side with the EQ 73. Sounds nice. Both have that warmth and clarity - and M/S switchage :listeningmusic:

Last edited:
I've been playing around with the T-Racks EQ 81 strip off and on all day. I haven't used a piece of gear like this in many years - forgot what it was like. It's like laser surgery. Amazing how these EQs clean things up and bring out definition. Here's a video review - pretty good. Covers everything but the M/S. He also points out the mislabeled Hi-Mid Frequencies printed around the knob - several are incorrect, yet the correct frequencies are processed when selected.

Last edited:
Episode VI : Doh! :facepalm:

These T-Racks EQ 73 & 81 Free Trial versions are a PITA. Not their operation, but what it takes to get them operating when added to a track.

The GUI opens but it's not active. There's an additional small OK/Cancel window that opens up with it that must be clicked in order to activate the plugin's GUI. BUT! . . that small window opens behind the GUI - completely covered and not accessible to mouse clicks, and until that can be clicked, the main GUI remains inactive and unresponsive to mouse clicks. ARRGH!

The only way to remove the GUI is to close the project, then reopen, but further attempts to add the plugins only give the same results. I'm using Windows 10. After hours of messing with this and getting nowhere, I stumbled upon a solution.

After adding the plugins to a track, their GUIs appear but are inactive. I found that these aren't really fixed to the Reaper program, they're floating. Pressing the Windows Key + D switches to the Desktop screen away from Reaper yet the plugin's GUIs and related activation windows remain - now on the Desktop screen. The activation window is still fully behind the GUI, but looking down at the Taskbar, the GUI's icon is there. Hovering the mouse over that icon causes Windows to display all open windows related to that icon. AHA !

This is the tricky part. Moving the mouse over the little activation window thumbnail and clicking it causes it to become visible on the Desktop screen, but moving the mouse toward it in order to click on it for activation causes it to disappear behind the GUI again - DOH!

Trying every combination of keystrokes I could think of, and some I invented on the spot, I inadvertently stumbled upon the solution. I discovered that when the plugin's main GUI opens and it's activation window opens behind the GUI, it doesn't require a mouse click to be activated. Merely pressing the Return Key does the trick, which triggers IK's Custom Shop to open. Then just close that window and the little activation window goes away leaving the main GUI fully activated and ready for use. And. . . no need to go to the Desktop screen as the Taskbar access is also below Reaper's screen - but I hadn't thought to try the solution while in Reaper. Now when the plugin is added to a track, just follow up with a press of the Return Key and it all works.

I didn't realize this problem existed until after I had been using the EQ 81 on one track for several hours. When I first opened it, the GUI appeared yet it's activation window wasn't fully covered, it stuck out just enough to get a mouse click on it for activation, so everything was proceeding just fine with no problems. The problem first became noticeable when I went to add the same plugin to another track. That's when the activation windows began disappearing fully behind their GUIs.

Once I figured out all I had to do was hit the freakin' Return Key to push activation. . . unbelievable. . .

My blood pressure dropped back to normal and I continued on, playing with the two EQs as if nothing had happened.

The End

Last edited:
Does IK's Mixbox (not T-Racks) contain the EQ-73? You can get it for $29.99 from here for the next 7 days if so... https://audioplugin.deals/product/mixbox-by-ik-multimedia/ref/24/ (much better than a single Waves plugin for that price...)

Edit: Actually, doesn't look like EQ-73 is part of it... there are 4 other EQ's and a couple Channel Strips that might work similarly?
I don't believe the Mixbox is going to work for me. The Mixbox EQ 81 is a stripped down version without M/S switching. Also doesn't have the Phase Inversion, Pre-Amp ON-OFF and EQ ON-OFF - all of which are included with the T-Racks version. It's possible these are integrated into the GUI's controls elsewhere, but I can't find any evidence of that, which really sux because the price is definitely right. Still, I'm tempted to buy in just for the British EQ Strip :D

mix eq 81.jpg t-racks eq 81.jpg brit eq.jpg

Last edited:
Analog Obsession version: :D

. . .

By the way, I have no affiliation with this company (it's actually just one guy). In case you're wondering why I keep pushing his plugins. I just love every plug I've tried of his.
Oh suuuuure. . . ;) [kidding :p]

I'm gonna play around with more of his stuff. See what happens.

Bummer about the stripped down stuff... Phase is easy, because you can just do it in Reaper on the Track itself... and while the "overall" EQ on/off is missing, pushing in/out all of the bands of EQ accomplishes that as well... but missing the L/R/M/S and Preamp on/off is a bummer. For $29.99 it was worth a shot though! :)

I do have the T-Racks Classic EQ which was included in my free T-Racks package a few years ago. It's got the M/S stuff - no Pre-Amp ON-OFF & no Phase. I've been playing with that all day and it's pretty good, but a little harsh.

t-racks classic eq.JPG

T-Racks EQ 73 is my favorite so far. Though it's only got 3-bands, to my ear it delivers more depth and warmth for bass , as well as nice mids and highs for guitars. It's got something extra in the creamy-gooey areas. . or so my ears tell me.

1695425976505.png

Last edited:
I lined up four of the EQs I've been looking at, just to see.. er.. hear a comparison.
[Note: The first mp3 I posted, I forgot to add the FX to it. This has been remedied :facepalm:]

Pre-Amp

A O Fiver = ......................NO
T-Racks CS Classic = ...NO
T-Racks EQ 81 = ...........YES
T-Racks EQ 73 = ...........YES

Settings
Low Frequency

A O Fiver = ......................90Hz @ +12dB
T-Racks CS Classic = ...90Hz @ +12dB
T-Racks EQ 81 = ........100Hz @ +5.8dB
T-Racks EQ 73 = ........110Hz @ +5.6dB

Input

A O Fiver = ........................ +4dB (Trim - No Input Knob)
T-Racks CS Classic =... +2.5dB (Output - No Input or Trim Knobs)
T-Racks EQ 81 = ............. +4dB (Approx.)
T-Racks EQ 73 = ............. +4dB (Approx.)

I balanced the volumes fairly closely. The available LF bands were different. The A O Fiver & T-Racks CS Classic had fully sweepable band selections and were easy to get the 90Hz I was after. The T-Racks EQ 81 & 73 had fixed band selections which only allowed me to get close at 100Hz & 110Hz respectively. I didn't get into the Mids & Highs.

I split the same sections out of each item and laid them end-to-end in a sample track. They play in order as shown above. It's obvious where they change. No point in cleaning that up.

Due to the Amp/No amp and different LF settings, there are differences, but I don't think I could pick them out in a mix. The last one (EQ 73) still sounds better to me.

Disclaimer : No Shrooms were harmed during this test 🍄

Attachments

• EQ x 4 Test 1 LF.mp3
    897.5 KB
Last edited:
I was going to do a similar comparison of Mid Frequency, but the EQ 73 & 81 have their frequencies mislabeled around their knobs. Some are backwards in order - add to that, a review I read mentioned the actual frequencies at those settings were accurate, but neglected to mention what those frequencies were. So I can't accurately match them with the other EQs for comparison. The EQ 73 & 81 are Trial version with no manuals. I assume the paid full versions will include some sort of User Guides which describe their frequencies.

EDIT : I just took another look at these EQ 71 & 83 EQs and it appears as if the mislabeled frequencies on the faceplate have been corrected. Messin' with my head . . .

Last edited:
OK. Think I got a handle on this. I picked 700Hz because it was common to all the units +/- a few Hz. I don't think that made much difference, but I do hear more differences in this LMF run than in the previous LF run.

Low Mid Frequency Only (Default Q Settings) The 81 & 73 have no Q adjustment - assuming 2.0

A O Fiver : 706Hz / 2.0 Q / +12dB
T-Racks CS Classic : 700Hz / 2.0 Q / +12dB
T-Racks EQ 81 : 680Hz / 2.0 Q ? / +10dB
T-Racks EQ 73 : 700Hz / 2.0 Q ? / +10dB

Input / Trim / Output

A O Fiver : (Trim) +4dB
T-Racks CS Classic : (Output) +6.8dB
T-Racks EQ 81 : (Input) +4.0dB
T-Racks EQ 73 : (Input) +4.0dB

P.S. That hissing is coming from the two Trial Period EQs (81 & 73).

Attachments

• EQ x 4 Test 2 LMF.mp3
    897.5 KB
Last edited:
The Analog Obsession sounds best by far!!!

:D Just joking.....

Man, my ears aren't good enough to hear enough of a difference to say it matters. I did notice that the EQ 81 seems louder than the others, even though it's at +4db, as opposed to the CS at +6.8.

Back