Reaper JS: RBJ 1073 or T-Racks EQ-73 or EQ 81..?

The first mp3 I posted for the LF test had to be removed and replaced with the correct file. I failed to add the FX to the sample stems, resulting in four identical raw stems. Ok now :spank::facepalm:

With this second test, I tried balancing the volumes by ear as before. I was fairly fried when I did that part of it. The volume settings for the LMF test varied slightly from the previous LF test. I'm wondering if that's mostly due to the change in frequency. I had to increase the frequency boost in the LMF test - not as much energy in that 700Hz area, I guess.

Last edited:
I can definitely hear a difference with the EQ 81 & 73 - they've got preamps producing a bit of oomph!. I suspect if I gave the other two a bit of boost on their frequencies it might sound much the same to my ears. I think it's getting more and more towards it being the preamps and L/R/M/S processing that's going to sell me in the end.

I just looked at Analog Obsession. Their channel strip looks pretty good - especially the prices. I downloaded it and ran it side-by-side with the T-Racks EQ 73. The AO "Frank" strip is very close to the T-racks EQ 73. I'm hearing more in the T-Racks. . . it's warmer, cleaner and richer in the lows. Many might not notice that at all in a mix, making it a very close comparison. The "Frank" doesn't have the M/S rigging and finer EQ adjustments, but for the price it's good enough.
I'll tinker with that for awhile. Thanks for the tip ;)
I love AO. Always deliver the goods. I don't have that model though, so can't say specifically.

Back