Real Cello - Fem Rocker #4

studioviols

Please listen here http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3196&alid=-1 to 'Looking Glass'.

Tracks of real cello, (my new cello), multiple cello tracks of the same musical material mixed to produce a 'section sound'.

This is a remix of Patrice Pike performing 'Looking Glass' from 'Live at the Saxon Pub' in Austin, Texas. It's her vocal and guitar with my real cello tracks mixed in.

I downloaded the 128kbps MP3 of 'Looking Glass' from Patrice's website and then added the Cello part in SONAR, mixed and recorded to simulate the live performance of the instrument with her and her band.

How does the cello mix sound ? Is it stepping on the vocal, is it loud enough in the places where it might should be ... is it too loud ? How is the intonation ?

How are the backup vocals at the end ?

This project will be used as DEMO to Patrice Pike.

This is a first posting of this mix seeking assistance from the members of http://www.homerecording.com in the MP3 clinic.

Thanks in advance.

nice, but I was barely able to hear any cello until around 2:20.. I heard a few pops like @0:53.. there are others.. maybe you should have used a bit higher quality mp3.. like 320.. your parts didn't get in the way at all though.. nice job for not over doing it.. maybe you under did it..

B.SABBATH said:
maybe you under did it..

I was going to say the same thing.

I wanted to really hear some counter melodic stuff in there. Maybe some plucked slow rolling arpeggios.

It is a nice acoustic tune but, perhaps a bit long for a demo song.

The backing vocals were nicely done too but perhaps they could have come in earlier in the track?

You playing sounded flawless and in tune at all times.

I guess I just wanted to hear more of your talent in the track.

Do you have any music that is purely of your own output. I would love to hear that, if you do.

Cheers! :)

This one's tough. You don't wanna step all over her vox, obviously, but you also want to be heard. The only real way to do that effectively is to carefully eq it so your strings are kind of swirling *around* her voice, which fits right in there clearly, letting us hear the strings and vox clearly.

Unfortunately there's not much chance at achieving that when layering tracks over an mp3 of a live performance.:)

Having said that, I think you probably did well to err on the side of underplaying, rather than overplaying. As a *song*, I think the strings need to be louder and clearer. As a *demo* to be given to a singer, I think you did good, since no singer's gonna respond to anyone stepping on her vox even a little bit.

Chris

So, the current responses are heaven and hell ... LOL ... arrrrrghhhhhh

It's all about how loud to mix it ... as it is a demo to a singer, Groucho is voicing my feelings here.

In the breaks, where she is not singing, I did mix myself 'loud as hell' ... lol ... so listen there for the deep register of the cello ...

I mixed very soft in the beginning, and let the cello come up out of the mix as the song progresses ...

The thought of the plucked arpeggios by The Ghost is a good idea, I need to demo that technique on the cello also ...

The Ghost of FM said:
Do you have any music that is purely of your own output. I would love to hear that, if you do.

I have been laying some track for one of the string quartets I wrote in college, but I'm ending up re-writing the durn quartet ! :D I may post that one day.

I am building up to presenting more complex arrangements, that's why I've been re-mixing artists live performances.

I have several arrangements I'm working on which are all three instruments, with solos in different places. but these things are always going to have to remain very tasteful and on the 'undermixed' side.

My priority at this time is demonstrating to bands and artists and building a demo portfolio that is attractive to other artists, and that means tasteful mixes that show off the artist, which is as it should be if I wanna get hired !

But I'm always yearning to post something stunning ...

I do have a tune I'm working on called 'The Park' which I'm hoping I will be able to have Sluice sing in collaboration with me, and I will have a full arrangement of strings on that.

There will be a solo section in that song, where Sluice will probably do a solo guitar spot which I hope to work into a violin, viola, guitar duet or trio ... sort of thing ...

Hmmm... this sounds quite a bit like Acoustic/Electric... the sounds of
a sorrowful recording... not the chords, but the subpar pickup :eek: :eek:

(Sorry... some of us here are gtr tone purists :p)

She sure has a great voice... would like to hear this recorded via figure-8
mic for the guitar, and condenser (cardiod) for her voice... more detail,
less "piezo"...

Ok... there's some cello... 2:07... nice addition... it's almost too buried
under the waterfall of her talent... could come up some... but this too is
just a sample recording, eh? OK... now we get louder... 2:44... your parts
really do fit well, Pat.

They may be slightly overshadowing things right before 3:20... on the order
of about 1.5 db (jumping in front of the guitar...) They can be made to
co-exist in this mix :) (reverb/panning/delays are your friends)

She tends to play like I do sometimes... strums a bit hard... but it works
in this piece.

Thanks for sharing that.

Chad

Well, given the context of what you are trying to show the artist, Patrice Pike, I think you have done a competent job of showing her what your talent can add to her sound.

As for the project you detailed that you have in the works to hopefully do with Sluice, I look forward to hearing that very much.

My apologies if my first post went off topic a little.

I really enjoyed hearing the woody resonance of the cello. The parts are played very well and tasteful with a smooth rich sound. very nice, could be a bit more prominent earlier on. You got the badge show your authority. :)

It sounds nice but it's way soft until about 2:45 or so.
I'm not sure that this shows off your skill well enough to let her know you're a useful addition. You simply have to show some virtuosity that makes you stand out. Maybe you should consider doing a string version of one of her songs. That way she would see that you like her stuff and that you can play appropriately for it....but you won't have to worry about stepping on her vocals and it'll free you up to shine a bit.

I don't want you to think I don't like your playing....I do, in fact I might have a collab I'd like you to play on. But you have to show her a reason to part with money to get you and I'm not sure this does that. It all comes down to if she sees your playing as something that'll add enough to be worth paying money for and it needs to reach out and grab her attention.

Wow, nice playing

Can you believe this--I too think the cello was a little soft for the first couple of minutes. There is a fine line here and very very hard to do.

Tossing a mix under a finished piece is hard to do. I think the cello adds a lot to the mix.

Enough of what I think--LT. Bob pretty much covered it. How about taking one of her tunes and re-doing it without her using the cello and violins. Then have the same piece with you mixed under her as demo of how you could sound together.

i have a fever...

what's the cure?

MORE COWBELL

no... sorry,

MORE CELLO

i loved this song... she's got a really nice voice.

the cello playing was flawless, but too quiet and subdued in some spots.

i don't play cello, so i'm really not qualified to comment much more than this... as a matter of fact, i think i've said too much already. :)

hmmmm......like the cello but I'm not so sure about the guitar....that sounds a little harsh on my set up.....the mix seems fine but I hear some phase problems with the cello and guitar....you mentioned you use Sonar....have you tried switching the phase on either Patrice's track(s) or your cello track(s)?....also the harmony vocal sounded a bit harsh...maybe some cut in the mid or upper mids?.....I'd be interested to know what mic(s) you used to track the cello and what else may have been in the signal chain....that was nice, very resonant...

I know we are talking cello here, but that guitar sound has to go. A beautiful miced cello is not going to mix with that guitar easily. That thing is harsh.

Nice song and your cello parts were nice as I expected them to be. I really enjoyed them. I love the cello. You should check out "jump, little children." They are wonderful rock band who use a lot of cello. The one guy was a cello player before a guitarist, I believe.

As far as progression. I think you could have made it more clear/louder earlier, but it works as is too. I could have used more of that 8th note thing as there is no rhytym section.

Her voice is very nice. I hope things work out well for you. Thanks for sharing.

sounds good man.......that's gotta be a great surprise for a songwriter, to have someone add some cool strings like this........is she pleased with it so far? has she heard it yet?

She needs a new guitar player. They making much money? ;)
Also, off the point a little, I like this song. She does have a very pleasing voice in my ears.

Your part sounds terrific, but it does sound like you went to the other extreme with the mix on this one. :) Take your last one and this one, and split the level of your track right down the middle. Then send it to her.

Beautifully warm tones, Pat.

Tom

What a cool thing to do! Everything I was thinking was already covered - like, turn it up! - so I won't say anything about that. But I don't think anyone mentioned your harmonies - turn 'em up!! Your voice sounds great - at least what I could hear way, way, way, way back in the mix. (they were louder at the end)

Funny - that guitar sound doesn't offend me at all - guess I'm too used to playing one. I move around w-a-y too much to mic me when I'm playing live.

But that's why I'm here - lots to learn.

Cool work - and extremely nice playing!
Milan

Originally posted by B.SABBATH
... but I was barely able to hear any cello until around 2:20.. I heard a few pops like @0:53.. there are others..
Thanks for the earballing. The pops are in the original 128kbps MP3 I used as the resource track for this cello added re-mix ... (there I'll blame it on 'them'). It was probably Trip bangin' on a glass with a butter knife while Pedullist egged her on ... can't trust these people ya know :D . I'll address the volume issue later as that is a cumulative issue amongst the responses, and I'm still sorting this out.
The Ghost of FM
The backing vocals were nicely done too but perhaps they could have come in earlier in the track
I put the backing vocals in to demonstrate to Patrice that I have the ability to sing backup for her, and so she could hear how my vocal mixes with hers. I am strongly considering placing a backup vocal somewhere else in the song, somewhere earlier. My thinking was, that I would leave her with the impression of the vocal last, so she wouldn't forget my singing, the cello appears continuously ... so the vocals need to be a last impression, and that is also the position in the song where she has crafted a repetition of the hooks and they need to be supported with backup there, they only appear singly previous to that.
The Ghost of FM
You playing sounded flawless and in tune at all times
awwww, shucks ...
Groucho
... you probably did well to err on the side of underplaying, rather than overplaying. ... As a *demo* to be given to a singer, I think you did good, since no singer's gonna respond to anyone stepping on her vox even a little bit.
The most important part of your response as I weigh the volume issue is "... even a little bit ... "
Participant
They may be slightly overshadowing things right before 3:20... on the order
of about 1.5 db (jumping in front of the guitar...)
Yes, I intentionally mixed the cello really loud here, approaching the point of absurdity. That you caught this confirms that the cello should never exceed the volume of the guitar at any point, the cello is subservient to her vocal and her guitar at all times in the mix, and the mix should demonstrate that. I am going to experiment with panning the cello 1-4% to the left when there is only guitar and cello in the mix, just a touch can make a huge difference.
Toki987
... woody resonance of the cello ... could be a bit more prominent earlier on ... You got the badge show your authority.
Yeah, I'm thinking that of all the orchestral strings, cello somehow lends itself to samling best. The only samples I have a lot of trouble knowing they are samples are a small group of the highest quality cello samples. But a real cello section is even easier to tell. Here I pointed the hypercardiod pattern half on the bass side f-hole and half on the top, bridge side of the bass side f-hole, major wood. Your comments on the 'volume envelope' for the cello bus are in the equation ...
Lt. Bob
... it's way soft until about 2:45 or so ... You simply have to show some virtuosity that makes you stand out. Maybe you should consider doing a string version of one of her songs. But you have to show her a reason to part with money ...
As your ear is well developed to detect the bari-sax deep in the mix, like the cello may be here sometimes, you get a lot of weight in the 'cello bus volume envelope equation'. I am always in serious consideration of your concern that I need some flash in the demo, and I'm waiting for that opportunity to arise. At one of the breaks in this tune, I may add a little violin pizzazz. She has just re-constituted her band with some major personell changes, so I'm waiting to hear an example of the upcoming gigs they are recording and then making available as MP3. I might very well do a string version of one of her songs along the lines of what this group is doing http://www.ericgorfain.com/thesectione.html . Yes, (drumming fingers), must get 'the money' :D
Sloop
I too think the cello was a little soft for the first couple of minutes
After our collaborative exchanges on vocal levels, this goes strongly into the 'cello bus volume envelope equation' ...
Volthause
... too quiet and subdued in some spots ...
I remember you are a frequency alalysis freak, (as I aspire to be), so you go strongly into the 'cello bus volume envelope equation' . Along with Toki's bass ear, Lt. Bob's Bari ear, there is a very strong case for bringing the cello up a lot in the first 2 minutes building.

MAC2
...have you tried switching the phase on either Patrice's track(s) or your cello track(s)?....also the harmony vocal sounded a bit harsh...maybe some cut in the mid or upper mids?.....I'd be interested to know what mic(s) you used to track the cello and what else may have been in the signal chain
I will experiment with phase switching in SONAR, as I am remixing with a 128kbps MP3, this might make a good difference, good tip, thanks.
I'll put an EQ on my harmony vox, that might allow me to maintain the volume level, but let her lead shine a bit more.
The mic for the cello is a Fender M1, hypercardiod condenser, lavalier type mic. It is 20 years old. It has it's own pre-amp power supply, but I'm running it on a Mackie 1202's phantom power. It is a limited edition mic and has an extremely flat 20-20 response. It does not take kindly to lots of SPL and overdrives very easily, but will catch the proverbial pin drop from distance, it's perfect for viola and well suited for cello and violin.
I have crafted a stiff 'plastic stick' that runs across the front of the cello and with bends at the ends ... attaches to, (just behind), the 'bouts' or the edges of the top on either side. The 'plastic stick' runs underneath the strings behind the bridge. Each end of the stick that clips over the tops of the edges of the cello front, (the bouts), has a bit of 'soundblok'. That keeps the cello from getting scratches and is sonically neutral. So it looks like a big smile on the cello, the bridge being the nose. Along this plastic stick are mounting points for the Fender M1, each mount can be rotated and slid in either direction on the stick a few centimeters. The hypercardiod pattern of the mic is placed halfway over the bass bar side f-hole, and halfway over the cello top on the bridge side of the bass bar f-hole. I'll post a pic of the rig one day.
I take a channel insert from the Mackie and run it into an Alesis Compressor which I probably don't need for the cello, but it's insurance as I then run into the +4db TRS of an Echo Mia Audiocard, and then of course the signal is recorded in SONAR.
Skids
You should check out "jump, little children."
Thanks for the listen, I'd love to add some strings to you and that woman's work someday, ya'lls mixes are my cup of tea. Thank you for pointing me to the 'example band', I'm always looking for the brethren ... :)
Powderfinger
is she pleased with it so far? has she heard it yet?
As she is appearing soon on the Austin City Limits Music Festival stage, and has just reconstituted her band with really major personell changes, she is doing good just to keep her head above water. She has directly emailed with me, and given me an address to send a CD. This is the fourth example of her music. I have one song with violin added, one song with viola added, and now two songs with cello added. This song may also get a smattering of viola and cello in the wide open break portions. That would be a fourth song with a full string arrangement, but I couldn't do that live, unless I programmed some of the instruments with MIDI, and that's a whole different kettle of fishies with her.
Sluiceyou went to the other extreme with the mix on this one.
Take your last one and this one, and split the level of your track right down the middle.
Thanks for making the extra effort to listen and sacrificing some of that precious sleep, I appreciate YOU ! Now I'm going to address the volume issue for all the responders, sort of a thinking out loud thing.
CELLO BUS VOLUME ENVELOPE EQUATION, (and other concerns) :
The track needs to start off where she will instantly hear the cello, with no doubt, so maybe the cello needs to appear with the guitar during the short intro. Then as her vocal appears drop to an accompaniement level that is a little louder than it currently is. At some point around 2:00, the cello needs to make more of an 'appearance'. This seems to be the fulcrum point consensus amongst the listeners, as if the volume envelope is a seesaw, the left side of the envelope needs to come up higher. The cello must never exceed the volume, metered or apparent of the resource mix. There probably needs to be some type of solo on one of my instruments in one of the breaks. The use of punchy eighth notes on the cello is a good thing, and as there is not drum, this would be a good thing to use a little more. There should be some pizzicatto somewhere, probably an arpeggiated figure. There should be an example of my backup vocal singing earlier in the piece, and an EQ should be slapped upon the backup vocals.
I have a much better viewpoint on the mix at this time, thanks to all of you for listening.

I think an important point for me to consider here is that all of you are my 'comrades' on the bbs, and some of you might be saying like ... 'fuk day beyowtch let pack rAwK !' ... and of course I appreciate that sentiment, but it must figure into the ephemeral 'cello bus volume envelope equation' ... it's been fun !

Last edited:
Hey SV,
Nice man. ....your strings add a soothing pad back there.

That chic does have a nice voice doesnt she.

cool stuff, g

Back