Rack Sequence

BeforeTheJury

I hate to noob up the place.. but I have done a lot of searching on this topic to no avail.

Are there any rules of thumb when sequencing your rack? For instance, does a 32 band EQ usually sound better at the begining or end of a chain? I am working with an EQ, sonic maximizer, compressor, and reverb processor.

Like I said, just wondering if there are any rules of thumb. I know that in the end my ears should tell me the right setup. Still working on those ears.

I guess there are rules of thumb, but no hard fast rules.
For example, I'd usually put an eq before a compressor because I don't want a compressor reacting to frequencies that I'm going to cut out.
Then I'd put a reverb after a compressor cos it just sounds better. I don't want to be compressing a reverbed sound.

There are exceptions of course, but set up a patch bay so you can mix and match. You'll learn a lot more buy just trying different things.

Go for extreme settings for testing so you really hear what each piece is doing and how the order changes it.
That can really help with things like learning how to use compressor attack and release times.
It's easier to hear with an over the top ratio, the when you get the timings right, bring the ratio back to somewhere suitable.

Surely the location of the EQ will depend on why it is being used? And in what context - recording or live?

Paul

.....for instance, does a 32 band EQ usually sound better at the begining or end of a chain? I am working with an EQ, sonic maximizer, compressor, and reverb processor.

Like I said, just wondering if there are any rules of thumb. I know that in the end my ears should tell me the right setup. Still working on those ears.

What in your sequence of recording REQUIRES an EQ? The EQ should be used wherever you need it to fix problems. For example, your signal chain may sound just fine up through using your compressor, but after that, you hear a frequency you don't like. Use the EQ there. Perhaps your signal source (guitar amp, mic, keyboard) has a whole lot of boomy rumble in the low mids. Use the EQ there. Perhaps you want to use an RTA to measure your room as you play back your near-field monitors, to see how best to even out your room's acoustics and your monitors' behavior. Use the EQ before getting to your monitors.

Frequency equalization is a very picky and preferential topic. Use it as early in your signal chain as you can to fix problems. Or, use it later in your signal chain for effects or shaping after all your processing is done.

Back