rack cases!

why are rack cases so freakin expensive? I'm a guitarist so I have guitar effects, but I'm just starting to accumulate rack gear for recording. Is there no alternative to this rip-off casing stuff just to keep it all neat and together? ANYTHING??? If so, where can I get it? I've seen nothing other than the cases. What's up with that?

Hey random(luv the name!)Use the "search"function of this
BBS. There were several threads about building your own and
saving some $$$$'s.

yo dude i just posted somethin somewhere else and he didn't answer my question...just said yeah i like that name. so thanks, and i'll try that search thing cuz that'd help. i also need a patchbay once i get enough stuff to make a mess of chords...but they're way too much in my opinion too...it's just a connector for all your stuff and they blow you away with it. cripes!

As noted,racks for home use are relatively easy (and cheap) to build.The SKB rack cases aren't too bad.I paid $50 at guitar satan for a three space SKB rack case.That's cheaper than a guitar case.
Save your indignation for a more appropriate target,like the Gibson custom shop,$4000 plus for a Les Paul,right....
Or how about $500-800 for an entry level brazillian rosewood classical?Want a vintage strat?I saw a '61 "V" style NECK ONLY at the last Arlington guitar show for $1000.Sheesh!
Tom

yeah i won't cripe on it anymore, but at least that stuff is the STUFF. ya know you actually use it. i wuz just sayin that it's freakin cases so it shouldn't cost you just as much to get one as it does to get the actual rack effect to put in it! i am done.

randompurpleness:

I see how you take compliments.

But don't use me as an excuse for not using the search function.

And, sorry, I can't help you with rack cases either. I put all my stuff on a cheap table

peace and good luck

Well, some folks don't have much to add, sometimes- and a lot of people only look at these forums once a day or so, so it can take a full day or more to get real feedback on your posts. Many posters here have day gigs, and only come out to play after the money-making part of the day is done.

When it comes to hardware like cases and connectors, you're basically paying for long-term reliability. Good cases, and good patchbays, cost a lot of money. The idea behind them is that you buy them once, and they last you a career, and they don't fail and let the equipment in them get trashed (or the signal you're sending through them turn to hums and buzz in the middle of a take). In the case of rack cases that will be used for roadwork, you really do want the good ones. The case may cost a couple hundred bucks, but you'll probably be loading it with gear that costs _thousands_: the replacement cost of which (after getting dropped off a truck bed the third time) will more than swamp the difference in the cost of the rack...

For fixed installation (home use), you can save some money. Both Raxxess and Middle Atlantic make some very inexpensive racks, made of no-frills black particle board, and costing less than $80 even for big floorstanding 20+ space racks. Some possible vendors for those are Full Compass Systems, Markertech, 8th Street Music, and Parts Express. A quick webs search on those company names and the word "rack" will get you a lot of information. If even that is too expensive, you can buy the predrilled rails alone from Full Compass or Parts Express and make your own.

Reliability costs money: same thing with patch bays and patch cords. The good stuff costs a _bundle_. Switchcraft 48/52 point telephone-style bays cost more than twice what the cheap Rean and Neutrik bays do, and the Switchcraft telephone-style patch cords are $23 a pop for a 2 foot cable. But what you get is reliability: in 25 years, I have never seen a Switchcraft patchbay fail in normal use due to anything but absolutely gross abuse, and the cords are the next best thing to completely immortal. On the other hand, I have a friend with a 2-month-old Rean bay that has already gone intermittent on him in the middle of a take...

When it comes to this infrastructure stuff, it is absolutely is worth buying the good stuff, just once. Sure, it hurts up front, but it hurts less (and is a helluva lot less aggravating!) than buying cheap stuff 2 or 3 times and having it crap out at the worst possible time. You make the call!

I have not been sorry about any dough laid out on SKB cases.
I have to carry this stuff myself to gigs and the light weight design is a back saver. Their 8U shockmount case, while quite pricey (>$300) impressed me no end when I dropped it (oops!) from about 3 feet with my CDRW and my tube pre bolted inside and the equipment didn't even notice. I don't even use this one anymore: it's slated to contain a couple of power amps and an EQ when I want to set up a PA and can actually afford to do so. The pop-up 12U mixer case I got for my A&H desk is the cat's meow. A BARGAIN at $150. It carries like a portable typewriter and sets up at a variety of cool angles. I picked up a cool 4U case that I now use to transport the CDRW/tube pre combo for $60 and while I might've been able to build one myself for far less, the light weight, stackability and waterproof seal make it worth every penny. I carried them in the rain to a gig out in the canyon and they were bone dry when I took off the covers. Electronics don't generally like taking a shower.

drstawl said: "I have not been sorry about any dough laid out on SKB cases."

I'm with you, sir. I used to have a bunch of custom Anvil shockmount flight cases, back in my misspent youth, and they saved the lives of my rack-mount road gear more times than I can count. When I sold essentially all that stuff off years ago, I actually made money on the flight cases: a guy offered me more for the racks because I'd never bothered to take most of the shipping labels off, or paint over the dings and scars! It's *bizarre* what people will pay for, isn't it? And to think I damned near pitched them into a dumpster, once I'd decided that I was through with doing music in any form. I just kept the Halliburton cases for my drum stuff, because nobody would ever understand how to use them: the rest went bye-bye in '89-90, and yes I do regret it.

I just got back into this art form after taking basically 10 years off. The road PA hardware I put together recently for my wife's group all lives in SKB rack cases, and the location recording rig I'm currently being dragged (kicking and screaming) into building is also gonna live in an SKB shockmount case. The SKB products are a *lot* less expensive than the old Anvil shockmount stuff, which was all special-order stuff back in the early '80s. However, it looks as if it'll work every bit as well: it just shows that competition does improve the breed.

And you gotta believe that I realize that I need my freakin' head examined for getting back into this stuff. No smiley...

But for our home studio, the building of which I claim is _not_ the act of a basically insane person, I've built all Middle Atlantic low-end MDF rack stuff for the outboard gear. And if I end up needing a hushbox, I'll go to Middle Atlantic for that as well. They seem to be the current bang-for-the-buck leader.

randompurpleness wrote: "i'm gonna go eat some peanut butter. sorry you probably get that a lot. ever have it with cheese?".

Actually, no and no. My alias here has nothing to do with peanut butter, believe it or not, and you're the first to mention that connection. And no, I haven't had it with cheese. Truth be told, I'm not that fond of peanuts. I'm just no fun at all, it seems. (;-)

Yep

I agree with many on this forum about getting good cases for your gear...

However, My approach is that I design my own...

I have made many cases - Even some with the same type of "shock-mount" that you see advertised...

Building them yourself is definitely less expensive...
Follow the advise on this thread... get the best "bang"...

But when all else fails... Don't hesitate to try building one your self...

I just completed a 25 space floor rack that cost me 50.00 Bucks to build... With that kind of cash you can afford to make mistakes...

Bry

Good Luck!

yum

what? no peanuts? not even the ones in the tiny impossible to open bag they give on airplanes that are completely drowned in saltiness? :) Well, ok. I'll try building one on my own. I mean, I only need about a 5 space thing so it should be relatively easy and inexpensive. I'll let you know if I actually succeed in this venture or if somehow I manage to accidentally set off some nuclear warheads...or something. Rock on.

ahhahaha monty....... that is one of the most amusing posts I have seen in my life......so lame... yet so funny.. hehehh

Sabith

Entry level guitars with brazillian rosewood is a misnomer,I, guess because truely entry level classical guitars would be nato or other substitute wood like indian rosewood.
I bought a yamaha G60A in '71 or so.It is brazillian rosewood and I think I paid about $120.Last time I looked for an equivalent axe it was in the $600 or so range.
The story I heard is that the yamaha co. in particular bought up the rights to a lot of brazillian forests way back when and squeezed the market with lack of supply.That may be partly true,but I suspect that it is also consistant with the rise in price with tone-grade spruce etc.
Tom

Back