Quiet RIOT!

Not necessarily. I don't know what your full micing situation is (each drum, overheads, room mic), but at a minimum if you are using overheads (I'm assuming you are), you might want to experiment with increasing the overheads in a kit mix and sending the whole kit to a bus and adjusting compression from there to pick up more of the kit AND the room. There are a lot of things you can do. You are definitely not in a situation where "it is what it is." Unless of course you like the sound you are getting. It's really up to you. I like dry drums. I like open kits too. It all depends on the song.

PS - My first experience with heavy metal was hearing the QR Metal Health tape in elementary school. I was instantly hooked and it changed my musical trajectory (in a good way) forever. Great album and great song to cover. And nice job covering it too! I too really enjoyed the QR documentary.

PPS - In other words, there are so many other things you can try instead of adding artificial reverb to your drum mix to achieve a different sound. I always start with manipulating what I captured naturally before going the route of adding effects.

The reason for those big "whale tank" reverbs back in the 80's. They sounded very natural and they were very simple and easy to build. Large box (usually about 4'x8'x2') lots of springs attached to the box on one end and to a lever on the other. Moving the lever made the springs tighter (less reverb) or looser (more reverb). By varying the amount of sound and the timbre of the sound going in, you changed the sound of the reverb being recorded at the other end.
The digital world has made these impractical, but I still loved the sounds we got out of them...

Back