Quick question about hooking up cd player to interface....

35chevy

I have a profire 2626 which has digital or optical I/O's, whichever term you want to use. I am not talking about spdif. My cd player has the same type connection. I believe it uses a toslink cable. I know the optical connector on the interface will allow eight channels of input when connenting two interfaces together. My question is what happens when I connect a cd player to this port, will the cd player only use two of the inputs? The 2626 has an onboard dsp mixer and the inputs for the optical ports are grayed out when nothing is connected to the port. Will two inputs become active and the rest remain grayed out? Or can the cd player even be connected to this port? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect before I order a cable. Thanks.

Make sure the ADAT input (8-channel digital via optical) can accept standard stereo TOSLink.

I know many that can -- But that doesn't mean they all do. There's very likely a "switch" in there of some sort (be it physical or virtual) to toggle between the two formats. I'd imagine the manual would be of service at this point...

Make sure the ADAT input (8-channel digital via optical) can accept standard stereo TOSLink.

I know many that can -- But that doesn't mean they all do. There's very likely a "switch" in there of some sort (be it physical or virtual) to toggle between the two formats. I'd imagine the manual would be of service at this point...

ok so there is a difference between adat 8 channel optical and stereo optical even though they share the same connector...got it. Kind of the same way that spdif and standard rca share the same connectors but won't communicate. I looked through the manual but may have skimmed over it. I'll dig deeper.

So the manual says that the digital I/O can be used with a adat recorder via toslink. So does a cd recorder communicate the same way as a adat recorder?

Nope -- Different format. That said, if it specifically says that "the digital I/O can be used as ADAT" then it's probably set up for standard 2-track also.

THAT said, I don't personally know.

THAT said, the specs show this:
optical I/O in the form of:
2 x 2 S/PDIF (on optical port B) or
16 x 16 ADAT (8 x 8 in S/MUX II mode, 4 x 4 in S/MUX IV mode)
So it looks like you're solid as long as you're using optical port B in the proper mode.

Yea that's the info I was looking for.

I copied and pasted this from the profire 2626 user guide...

"Optical Port B Mode
Selecting “S/PDIF” will allow the second optical input and output ports to receive and send stereo S/PDIF
signals. Note that optical S/PDIF operates at a maximum sample rate of 96 kHz."

So, the interface can recieve stereo s/pdif through the optical port.

I copied and pasted this from my Sony RCD-W500C CD Recorder...

"Connecting the unit to a digital component
Connect a component such as digital amplifier, CD player, DAT deck, or MD deck through the DIGITAL OPTICAL IN/OUT jacks (S/PDIF square type) with a optical digital cord (not supplied)"

So, this reads to me like I'm in business...do you read it the same way? I just wanted to be sure before I blew money on another cable I can't use...I'm starting a collection of those. LOL

Totally out of the box thought...

What do you want to do with the CD player once it's connected: just listen to music or do you want to dub the tracks into your DAW for other uses?

If it's the later, (and assuming your computer has a CD player/burner built in) then consider "ripping" the CDs into the computer. Many DAWs have the facility to do this but, if you don't have that, a bit of Freeware called Exact Audio Copy is excellent.

FYI, the actual data stored on a CD is standard 16 bit/44.1kHz/Stereo/wave, just hidden in a way so the actual waves don't show up if you scan the disk. A ripper allows you to directly transfer the wave files onto your hard drive with no conversions etc. going on, often (like EAC) with error correction and much faster than real time.

Totally out of the box thought...

What do you want to do with the CD player once it's connected: just listen to music or do you want to dub the tracks into your DAW for other uses?

If it's the later, (and assuming your computer has a CD player/burner built in) then consider "ripping" the CDs into the computer. Many DAWs have the facility to do this but, if you don't have that, a bit of Freeware called Exact Audio Copy is excellent.

FYI, the actual data stored on a CD is standard 16 bit/44.1kHz/Stereo/wave, just hidden in a way so the actual waves don't show up if you scan the disk. A ripper allows you to directly transfer the wave files onto your hard drive with no conversions etc. going on, often (like EAC) with error correction and much faster than real time.

I'm editing some sound tracks, changing the key and doing some eq work on them for folks singing at church. A lot of the soundtracks being put out are terrible to say the least and theres only so much you can do to improve on them. A lot of times just taking some bass out and leveling them out with some compression makes them sound better on the sound systems found in small churches. I guess I'm doing business for other churches now since I just did two tracks last night for someone else. I'm putting together a disc to cover a an event they are about to do. Pro Tools doesn't do the job too well when it comes to changing keys, so I'm using a rack mounted key changer and I'm looping it through my interface for now. I'm trying to reduce clutter so the the only speakers I want are my monitors. For now I'm importing the audio into Pro Tools using the dvd drive on my pc. I'm looping it from there through the key changer and recording it back into Pro Tools in the new key. From there I'm bouncing to disc. So I'm not using a cd player but, having one would make things faster at times just for quick playback and my daughter practicing. I have two laying around I'm not using, so,I'm trying to connect one of them without using two of my xlr or 1/4" inputs.

If I understand you correctly, give Exact Audio Copy a try for the initial transfer into your computer/PT from the DVD drive. That'll cut the time for the transfer down to a small fraction of real time and same a bit there.

However, for the "quick listen", the CD player via S/PDIF sounds the way to go to preserve analogue inputs!

If I understand you correctly, give Exact Audio Copy a try for the initial transfer into your computer/PT from the DVD drive. That'll cut the time for the transfer down to a small fraction of real time and same a bit there.

However, for the "quick listen", the CD player via S/PDIF sounds the way to go to preserve analogue inputs!

I'm gonna look into Exact Copy...Thanks for the info there.

Most professional (or semi-professional) audio recording software can copy CD audio to your hard drive. Maybe read the manual for your software?

Back