Quick help! Just bought a new mic!

C-SLIKK

I just bought a Heil Sound PR40 (Heil Sound PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone and more Dynamic Microphones at GuitarCenter.com.) and the sE Reflexion Filter (sE Electronics SERF Reflexion Filter 3.5 and more Acoustic Treatments at GuitarCenter.com.), and i was just curious what else I will need to hook up this mic to my computer to get the recording process started once again.

Any suggestions would be nice, too. I've already spent about 700+, so if there is any extras needed, I would not like to spend over 1000, but if it's absolutely necessary, than I'd do it. I'm just tryna make my shit sound CRISPY.

Thanks.

You need some type of interface along with a preamp (which may be built into the interface). Or, you could use a USB adapter for a less than optimal solution...

Do certain pre-amps make your microphone sound better than the other?

Well, "better" is subjective, and it's true that there are some totally crappy preamps out there.

But I would suggest that you buy an interface with decent preamps, such as the one mentioned by buzzard bass, or even one of the cheaper alternatives, along with some recording software (which is included with many interfaces).

Then focus on learning the things your can't buy such as proper mic technique and how to use your recording software to get the best out of what you have. You will also probably want to invest in some room treatment.

Once you do that, then you can look for a preamp that will either correct problems you can't otherwise fix or add some desired coloration.

Good luck!

1000 is a decent price range. You can do all sorts with that. How many things you recording at once? You planning on tracking a whole band or are you just doing vocals? If you're only doing 1 or 2 channels at a time you can get a pretty decent 2 channel interface...hell, even the m-audio profire 2626 is under a grand and you get decent conversion, and a bunch of half decent preamps... The answer really depends on your budget, plans for expansion in the future, and current needs.

Back