quick cable question

kesterdevine

Help please! Can I use a cable like this

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSSTP20

to come out of a mixer's Left and Right main out and into the input on my computer sound card, to record onto a stereo track in Cubase LE?(I would be putting a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter on the TRS end to make it fit 1/8 hole in sound card)

I have done one mono channel into the soundcard in this way, but would like to be able to record with two mics for a simple live in the room stereo recording.

Just need to know if this cable would be appropriate?

Thanks alot!

Is the input you're going into on the sound card line-level or is it a "mic" input? I've run this exact scenario (two 1/4" plugs into one 1/8" stereo plug) to my mac's line in just fine. If you're plugging into a "mic" in on the PC, you may have issues.

BTW, you can accomplish this with a simple cable from Radio Shack... no need for an adapter or ordering something fancy. Just trying to save you a couple bucks...

thats what most of us call an insert cable... it would work excep you would still need a 1/4" stereo female to 1/8"male adapter... save your sheckles and get a real interface... alotta these cards are made for gamers and have issues with doing "serious audio"... plus those 1/8" inputs can crap out from the weight of big cables and adapters...

Thanks for responses.

I am really just trying to record rehearsals in my jam room to listen back to for reference. Kind of like using my PC as a glorified boombox :-) So it's not like real serious fidelity I'm after - just capturing ideas.

I have used the line-in with a TRS-TRS cable to record a mono track in this manner and it works fine. I'm just hoping to stick up 2 mics in the room instead of one. From what you guys say it sounds like this will work for that purpose. Right? I already have an insert cable like the one pictured, and a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter. I have an audigy sound blaster card. Not exactly great but not totally crappy. LOL.

So, there's no technical reason not to do this - like I might blow up my computer???

Thanks again.

Yeah...blowing up my computer is definitely not on my to do list ;-)

But if that does happen, guess you guys won't be hearing back from me ..doh!

The cable in the picture looks backwards from what you want. You need a 1/8 stereo on the end going into the soundcard's line in, and two 1/4 mono jacks on the other end for the line outs of your mixer. You may not get the best sound but it should work without causing any damage.

So it's not like real serious fidelity I'm after - just capturing ideas...

So, there's no technical reason not to do this - like I might blow up my computer???

Thanks again.
It always starts out that way but when you play that perfect take then you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not recording it right. :D Set yourself up to get the best tracks possible, sound treat your room.

The biggest thing to be careful about is making sure you don't have a powered mixer. You wouldn't want to be running main outs for speakers to your soundcard.

yes,,, it took about a week or so for me too.
first it was the y- 1/8 to the SoundBlaster card and free Kristal recording Software, just to play around with pc recordng.....:rolleyes:
next thing I knew, there was a EMU1820 in my pc and my 2488 was gone!:p

I agree though, Just get a 1/8 and 1/4 pair...these are anywhere that sells cables.

line in soundcard 1/8" & mixer out 1/4" to the soundcard. What the numbers refer to is the circumference, of the plug.

the 1/8th will need the two bands/stripes, and the 1/4 will be Mono, one band/stripe.

the windows software mixer/volume controls will need to be adjusted too, most likely, to stop clipping and all that noise.

it always starts out with one cable to "just record a take"...:p

it always starts out with one cable to "just record a take"...:p[/QUOTE]

Yup..and $10,000.00 later here I am!!!:eek:

And still buying:mad:

Back