Questions on TEAC X300

SkyLounger

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and have some questions about my machine.

I've recently acquired a reel to reel TEAC X300 model in real good shape, comestically and electronically... but I can't find any info about it!

What I'd like to know is how does that model "score" amongst others, is it a 2 or 4 track , what speeds does it run at (there's a low and high speed selector) and finally, is it worth having it calibrated (spend any more money on) or better use it as is and try and find a more worthy machine???

Thanks in advance for your answers!

The X300 was a consumer deck aimed at the home stereo enthusiast. It was designed to run in 3, 3/4 and 7.5 ips in a 1/4 track stereo format. It was never designed to be a professional or even semi-professional deck.

Having said that, it still was a decent quality machine and capable of making a high fidelity recording that may be suitable for many home studio users who aren't bothered by a bit of hiss and using only the smaller 7" reels.

TASCAM did offer a pro version of that deck called the 22-2 which ran at 15ips and was a proper half-track stereo format. That would be the superior deck to check out if you haven't committed to the X300 yet.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the reply Ghost!

The tech I've been talking to on the phone has 3 Revox b77 MKII for sale. Would that be equivalent to the suggested Tascam 22-2 or better?

I'm a home user only!

Also, I've read on other threads that Quantegy 405 would be the best tape for my X300, am I right?

Last edited:
As far as I know, the Revox B77 Mk II was still a 1/4 track stereo deck so, it wouldn't offer the fatter, professional mastering standard of the TASCAM deck but, it would be able to handle the larger 10.5" reels which would allow for longer recording time with the same thickness of tape.

The B77 was highly regarded as a very good sounding recorder with European design and construction which was held in a higher regard back in the days of when both decks were new on the market.

As for the specific factory recommendations for tape calibration on the 22-2, I'm not sure about the 405 formulation? Quantegy 457 should be bias compliant and offer a thicker oxide coating that will yield recordings with less drop outs and a little "higher maximum output levels", otherwise known as "MOL". Parts are less expensive and a bit more plentiful too to keep it working so the choice is a bit of a tricky one. Do you pick the super high end home deck or the entry level pro deck? Flip a coin! :)

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
As far as I know, the Revox B77 Mk II was still a 1/4 track stereo deck so, it wouldn't offer the fatter, professional mastering standard of the TASCAM deck but, it would be able to handle the larger 10.5" reels which would allow for longer recording time with the same thickness of tape.

Most B77s were stereo 2-track, I think. It does exist in fast and slow versions though.. the fast one can do 15ips, and the slower model maxes out at 7.5ips.
The 15ips ones make quite nice mastering decks for a small studio.
And yes, there are 1/4 track versions, but at least on ebay, the 2-track versions are more common.

The Ghost of FM said:
The B77 is a 2 track deck, quite nice. I'd go for it.

jpmorris said:
It does exist in fast and slow versions though.. the fast one can do 15ips, and the slower model maxes out at 7.5ips.
I thought that was the A77? The only B77's I've seen are 7.5/15ips, but saying that I have't seen that many of them.

Qualification to my last post - I'd go for the B77 as long as it does 7.5 and 15 ips.

Thanks to all who replied!

I think I still have quite a bit of reading to do in the reel to reel field, but since my Teac sounds real great as is, I probably won't be investing much money in it except buying tape, and keep my money to eventually buy a Tascam or Revox...

I'm actually trying to get together a whole "vintage" sound system; Pioneer SX1050 and up, Klipsch speakers, Oracle turntable, etc, etc. I still use my Yamaha K540 tape deck and Technics turntable, but I'm looking for even older stuff...

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Back