question re: acoustics w/ wide necks

Guernica

..I typically play a 12 string strung down to 6. It's an ovation acoustic that ive had forever, and the wide 12 string neck feels very comfortable in my bigger hands. I play w/ my fingers alot, so again....the wider neck benefits me.

Is there a standard steel string acoustic model that comes w/ a wider neck?

.....suggestions?

much thanks

Guernica said:
..I typically play a 12 string strung down to 6. It's an ovation acoustic that ive had forever, and the wide 12 string neck feels very comfortable in my bigger hands. I play w/ my fingers alot, so again....the wider neck benefits me.

Is there a standard steel string acoustic model that comes w/ a wider neck?

.....suggestions?

much thanks

I don't think so. I've been playing nylon string guitar for so long my hands no longer feel confortable on most acoustic or electric guitar necks. Occasionally I'll lay my hands on one that feels okay.

Most Taylor guitars I've tried feel pretty good. You might give one a test drive. I really like Taylors but I wish they'd stop pricing them like they were hand-made.

Guernica said:
yeah..... ....wish they made a classical neck w/ steel strings. ....that would be the ticket

The average classical is 2" at the nut. Some are wider.

The average dreadnaught is 1 11/16" at the nut.

The average OM is 1 3/4" at the nut.

Ome makers (Santa Cruz F model, e.g. ) offer models with 1 13/16" at the nut.

You can also special order nut widths on most higher end guitars.

Seagull guitars have 1.8" neck that is really good for fingerpicking. They also make a Pepe D Angestino model that's 1.9" wide at the nut.

Just thought I'd throw in another vote for wide necks. I play a lot of blusey stuff with lots of bends and narrow necks just don't have enough working space. I just wish I could find a nice wide neck which is somewhat thin (front to back), it's the thickness of wide necks that bothers me, but that's a personel preference thing. Maybe I just need longer fingers.

I actually have an opposite guitar to what you're after - it's a nylon string with a steel string neck width - Yamaha made it and as I hadn't played a nylon string for a while, I wasn't really thinking about neck width when I bought it.

In hindsight it was a mistake - too damn hard to play notes cleanly, but stuck with it now..

a little off the subject, but my friend has an alvarez that is solid woods (can't remember which kinds) I really think it sounds good, but the neck is thin and it drives me insane. It's almost like I can't fit all of my fingers on there for some of the chords.....and I am a small guy (5'8" 130). I much prefer my Taylor 414mace (which i think sounds better too). But, the Alvarez was a little bit less........

Washburn may have some models with wider necks out still. My Washburn does and is great for my fingerstyle playing. But mine is about 10 some odd years old. Model is 68SW or something. It's a higher end model and cost me a few pennies.

I know Seagull (as mentioned above) claims to have wide necks which may be true. But, I have an S6 (which I love) and I have tiny hands and the neck feels lean and mean to me....in the best way, of course. You can really move around on this neck with no trouble at all. My "style" tends to incorporate a lot of single string stuff as well as a lot of jazzy chord work, picked and comped, and the string spacing on the S6 has never ever even entered my thoughts - which is I guess the way it should be. It's great!!!!!

LL

Back