Question: Hooking up computer to DVD surround sound

Hey,

I have a 5.1 surround sound system that is hooked into my DVD player that will only work coming out of my DVD player. I'm wanting the sound come out from my computer and go into the DVD player so I can use the 5.1 speakers. My sound card on my computer has one line out port. I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to send 5.1 sound out of my computer and into my DVD player to my speakers. My DVD player uses L and R AV cables to bring the sound in from the external source. Would I be able to use this with my computer and still have the 5.1 sound? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=269416&Sku=C184-18843&CatId=79

Thanks much!
Quinton

I'll assume your referring to inputs on the receiver/amplifier - Most DVD players have no inputs... Or did I miss somthing...?

Anyway, no 5.1 from stereo - However, if you replace your sound card with a card with a S/PDIF or TOSlink optical out (whatever your 5.1 systems digital inputs are) then you're golden.

Assuming that the software you're using supports 5.1, that is...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

That certainly does help - That unit has a TOSlink Optical input. Hence, you need a soundcard with an optical output. This is NOT the same as an ADAT optical output!

OR...

If get a card with an RCA type S/PDIF, you can get this wonderful little box from M-Audio called the Co2. It's an RCA/Optical S/PDIF converter. Both in, both out, lifesaver box. This would also allow audio to pass from the DVD player TO your computer. Again, 5.1? Depends on the program.

I've seen them for $75 or something at Guitar Center, etc.

Sound cards with RCA S/PDIF are about a dime a dozen. Well, maybe more like "around $100" for a reasonable unit. There are a few "pro-sumer" models (Phillips 706?) and nicer "bit more pro-sumer" models by M-Audio and up from there.

John -

Last edited:
Massive Master said:
Assuming that the software you're using supports 5.1, that is...

The importance of that can't be understated. You won't be getting 5.1 out of Ntracks or Cakewalk Guitar Studio.

Back