Question about switching settings while condenser mic is plugged in

riotshield

I was curious if doing any of the following will damage your pre-amp or condenser mic while the mic is plugged in:

- Turning the pre-amp on/off while phantom power is set to 'on'
- Switching the gain stage on the pre-amp while it is on
- Switching the pad or low-cut filter on or off, either on the mic or on the pre

turn it on when everything is plugged in...turn the phantom power on last. switching the gain stage doesnt hurt it i dont think. and no i doubt it to the last one

related question

Is it bad for the mic or preamp to unplug or plug-in condensor mics with power (but not phantom power) to the preamp turned on?

Thanks
Erich

riotshield said:
I was curious if doing any of the following will damage your pre-amp or condenser mic while the mic is plugged in:

- Turning the pre-amp on/off while phantom power is set to 'on'

No, although I make a practice of turning off phantom power before I kill a pre or mixer, since I like to take down mics first.

- Switching the gain stage on the pre-amp while it is on

Gain stage? Like a boost switch? Which pre is this? I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

- Switching the pad or low-cut filter on or off, either on the mic or on the pre

Not a problem on the pre. On the mic, you can switch it live, but that can give you a nasty pop or ping. It won't hurt the mic, but it can hurt your ears if you're wearing headphones. Mute the channel first.

At my last job, a co-worker killed an AKG 441 by unplugging the mic from the cable while phantom power was still on (in his defense he didn't know any better). Turning the pre off while phantom is on probably won't hurt it, but why take the chance?

As for parts 2 and 3 of your question, should be no problem.

Back