Question about selecting new Pickups

Nateman01

I bought a cheep MIM Tele and I want to upgrade electronics.
My question is; will any pickup fit (or be compatible) with a Tele in the bridge position or do I have to buy a specific type of pickup. I know it has to be a single coil but i don't know much else about it, as I have never done this before Thanks.

It will really need to be a Tele style-if you are using a standard Tele bridge plate-with the 3 adjustment screws as opposed to the Strat style single coil size with 2 adjustment screws. There are lots of choices now with hotter bridge pickups as well as single coil sized humbuckers, so check out the various manufacturers and decide what the sound is that you want.

check out bill lawrence pickups, i just put three in my strat and they are sweet. He makes them for tele's as well.

Daav

Yes it does have the standard plate so three screws thanks i didn't want to buy one and then not be able to use it. If anyone has any suggestions i am looking for something that still has a Tele sound but a little less of the twang. Im going to look around and check out the Bill Lawrence PUs too. Thanks for the help.

My current best seller (because we suggest them all the time) for a bridge pickup in a Tele is the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage or Virtual Hot Tele. They have a really nice classic Tele sound (lots of bite, nice and bright, all that), but they are stacked humbuckers so they are just about dead quiet. Killer pickups, seriously. Of course, if you want to go high end, get a Joe Barden, and if you want a true single coil, go with a Lindy Fralin.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I actually liked the Dimarzio Hots when i looked at them last night.
I’m not looking for top of the line just better because I am primarily a bass player.
I just want to do this for fun mainly.

I also found these

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&ITEM=catalog/sku.html&G=1&sku=0127

Just wondering if they are as cheap as they sound or a good
deal if anyone has experiance with them

I would not advise buying pickups from Stew-Mac (well, except for maybe the TV Jones pickups, which I haven't tried, but I hear they are good). The pickups they carry are generally pretty mediocre. Your current pickups are at least as good, in all likelyhood. If the Dimarzio Virtual Hot sounds like something you will like, get it, because you will like it. They are really killer pickups.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I dropped a Seymour Duncan Nashville 5/2 in the bridge position of my tele. it sounds great. lots of that tele vibe and sound without the ice picks in your ears. a perfect fit for my tele, IMO.

cheers,
wade

I would not advise buying pickups from Stew-Mac (well, except for maybe the TV Jones pickups, which I haven't tried, but I hear they are good). The pickups they carry are generally pretty mediocre.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thanks I didn't know for sure but I know that nothing is as good as it sounds

And Also, thanks to everyone for the input. I'll look around a bit more, and decide, but the hots are still looking good so ill probably go with them.

Back