quality dynamic mic

coplinger

The next mic I buy I want to be a good dynamic mic. I currently have 2 mxl v67, sp b3, 2 mxl 603s, beta 52, 2 ecm8000, 4 sm57's. I want a good all purpose mic for vocals (rock & rap) and drums & instruments as well that has a different flavor than the 57's. I am considering re-20, 441, sm-7, or one of the beyers. Which would you choose?

coplinger said:
The next mic I buy I want to be a good dynamic mic. I currently have 2 mxl v67, sp b3, 2 mxl 603s, beta 52, 2 ecm8000, 4 sm57's. I want a good all purpose mic for vocals (rock & rap) and drums & instruments as well that has a different flavor than the 57's. I am considering re-20, 441, sm-7, or one of the beyers. Which would you choose?

those 3 are cool...........

coplinger said:
I am considering re-20, 441, sm-7, or one of the beyers. Which would you choose?

I wouldn't kick any one of the ones mentioned out of my mic cabinet. I might take the RE-20 (if I absolutely had to choose), but that's just a personal preference. Take your pick.

Beyer M88TG.
More robustly built than a 441, and can be used hand held for rapping or live preformance. Notch above M69 in sound quality.

Chris

I agree on the Beyers. The M201 is an instrument mic, the M88 is a great mic, but sometimes the M69 is even better. It has less low end than the 88.

Probably the greatest dynamic is the MD441, but the RE20 is a very great mic as well.

The MD421 is a bit hotter sounding, but a real classic and great mic too.

You might consider a ribbon like the Beyer M160 or M260. These are very special and great mics.

I vote for the MD441 and the SM7.
I have both of those mics and I like them both a lot.
However; a REAL GOOD, quality, pre-amp is essential for driving these mics.
You'll likely be dissappointed in either one or both of them if you don't.

On the M88TG, if you just back off of it, the low end becomes very
natural. Extremely narrow pattern makes it handy to use in
"acoustically challenged" rooms to avoid negative ambience.

I mainly preferred the M88 over the M69 due to the superior top end response, although Han is right that on a given vocalist it could sound better.

Chris

Michael Jones said:
I vote for the MD441 and the SM7.
I have both of those mics and I like them both a lot.
However; a REAL GOOD, quality, pre-amp is essential for driving these mics.
You'll likely be dissappointed in either one or both of them if you don't.

You know, this is something I didn't think to mention. I don't have any pres you'd consider REAL GOOD as of yet. I have a DMP-3, a Jomeek VC3Q, and my Seck mixer. None are too shabby, but none are REAL GOOD.

Thanks to all for the responses. It seems everyone has their favorite, but they're all a good choice. I think I'll just watch ebay for a good deal on one of these.

How would you rate these as dark to bright?

Did you mean Speck mixer? If so, props to you. Very nice.

I am constantly floored at the versatility of the MD441. Its a crazy good mic and worth every penny.
The M88 is a fantesticle mic also, and worth every penny, but I dont think its AS versatile as the 441, but its 1/3 the cost new. OTOH, you can find a 441 used for $250 which is crazy. The 441 would be the best mic you have in your lineup at this point, as would the M88.
The RE20... only really used it on kick drum. Loved it there. Seems to be a trusted respected mic and works great under the right conditions. I would love to have one. Even just to look at it and bonk people on the head with it (ever held one? its HUGE)

The 441 takes lots of gain, though. It has a low output, and therefore something noisy in the preamp dept is a no-no. Works great with an RNP.
Another consideration would be going with an RNP instead and coupling that with the SM-57 you already have, its as if they were made for each other, its crazy.
Good luck. I vote the 441.
Peace.

I only wish I meant Speck. Seck is a British company from the 80's that got bought out by Soundcraft. I recently bought an 18 channel 8 buss Seck mixer. Definitelly a step up from my Behringer, but no Speck. I think Han has (or had) one as well unless I am confusing him with someone else.

Yeah I've just recently seen 441's on ebay for $250. This might be the way I'm leaning if I can find another when I have the cash.

Innovations said:
I would agree with those talking about the Electrovoice RE-20 and the sennheiser 441. If neither of those fit the budget then I would consider the sennheiser 421, also very good.

Yep - I'm with you on the 421 (not the newer 421-II, which seems a way bit too bright when compared to the original 421).

coplinger said:
I only wish I meant Speck. Seck is a British company from the 80's that got bought out by Soundcraft. I recently bought an 18 channel 8 buss Seck mixer. Definitelly a step up from my Behringer, but no Speck. I think Han has (or had) one as well unless I am confusing him with someone else.

Yeah I've just recently seen 441's on ebay for $250. This might be the way I'm leaning if I can find another when I have the cash.

You are very well right!! I have three Seck boards, two 1882's and one 1282. I use them for cue mixes in the tracking room and sometimes for location recording.

These are pretty good boards, a bit noisy, but very decent pre's and awesome EQ. I've recorded hundreds of CD's with them before I got the big automated DDA-AMR 44/24 board.

I recorded a jazz CD with a Seck board and a number of MD421 and 441 mics, a couple of Beyers and that kind of dynamics.
It got CD of the month in an important magazine and it got a 10 for sound quality. All done with the small Seck and the dynamics.

If you're curious about how it sounds, you can find a fragment of it on my website. Jazz example 2, The Troupe.

Peace, Han

Back