Quad XLR Cable-(4 wires/3 posts?)

darwin

I have done a search here on this subject, and unfortunately, I am not finding the answer. I have Mogami quad cable. How do I solder this to XLR jacks. Specifically, there are 4 wires. There is the ground that wraps around the 3 wires. Of these three wires, two are insulated one is not. How do I connect all four of the wires to the three available posts on an XLR connection?

The shield gets soldered to pin one, and then both blue get soldered to pin two, and both white get soldered to pin 3. This is how I am doing them, but I don't remember what color code the factory cables use. The important part is shield to pin one, and then the colored pairs must be the same on both ends.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Which is EXACTLY what is shown on Canare's site, under the cable catalog - reached by entering the term "star quad" into the AskJeeves search engine -

their site doesnt give separate URL's for each page, so I've attached their pix of the connection, which jibes completely with Light's comments - first, here's the comment preceding the picture

"In order to maximize noise rejection, Star Quad must be properly wired to the XLR-3 connector (or terminal block). "

the canare catalog is here, click on cables, then follow down to Star Quad. Click Star Quad, then click on "The Star Quad Story"

http://www.canare.com/catalog.html

Attachments

• starquaddialogbox1.gif
    starquaddialogbox1.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 88
Well, they have white to pin 2, but other than that, it is what I said.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Oops, missed that reversal - main thing with quad cable though, is both conductors of the same color need to go to the same pin, otherwise the noise cancellation advantage is lost... Steve

Perhaps, I don't have Quad cable because I don't have 5 cables. This is the Mogami Snake cable. Inside each of the main snake wires, there are four cables. Of the four cables, there are only two insulated wires. There is a silver wire that is not insulated. There is the drain wire. I am assuming this is ground. It wraps around the other three wires.

Oops again - Sorry, Darwin, apparently both Light and myself thought you were talking about Star Quad cable, which has two counter-twisted pairs, PLUS the shield and drain wires inside the cable.

The type you're talking about, the second un-insulated wire can either be ignored, or if you have connectors that have a separate chassis connector inside the plug, the extra, outer drain wire is sometimes connected to that chassis lug.

If you're in doubt, you can either ignore the extra wire or tie both of the un-insulated ones to pin one. I've always just tied everything but the signal wires themselves to pin one, and never had problems with it... Steve

Thanks Knightfly,

So, out of curiosity, what does the copper wire that is surrounding the three wires (2 insulated, 1 not) do? I assume that this one serves as a shielding mechanism. I also thought this would be ground.

Another question, the silver uninsulated wire, is called the drain? What is its function? I assume that if you wire it with the copper wire to pin 1 like you have suggested that it serves some sort of ground function.

The shield doubles as the ground on most cables. If you wired up the extra ground wire you would simply have a more secure ground incase the cable was pinched or damaged you still have two paths for it to flow.

Back