Punk and Rock albums that can be used as reference for mixing?

Yes, Daydream Nation was late 80's.

Yeah so were the 7 or so odd albums that came before it. Sonic Youth are one of my all-time favorites, they were the first to kind of bridge the punk world and the indie/art world for me. But production-wise, I don't think there's anything special about the mixes.

Agreed. But there things that I personally like about some albums. Like Back in Black has the best rock guitar and drums to me, for that kind of style. And it's a kind of mix that would work with pretty much any style or genre that uses real instruments. It's very basic, pure, not too much production shit going on. Same with Appetite and that Ramones album I mentioned earlier. I try to make my own mixes in that way - simple, basic, just what's necessary.
Oh, don't get me wrong. There are a lot of songs that I indirectly reference in my head. Or, at most, I might put them on to remind me of how that guitar sounds or how those drums sound. But I never put a song on and A/B it with my mix. I don't think it really works like that. Just speaking for myself. If it works for someone else, great.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are a lot of songs that I indirectly reference in my head. Or, at most, I might put them on to remind me of how that guitar sounds or how those drums sound. But I never put a song on and A/B it with my mix. I don't think it really works like that. Just speaking for myself. If it works for someone else, great.

Totally agree there. I don't play I Wanna Be Sedated and go back and forth on my guitar and drum sounds trying to nail it.

Me neither. I think it's an over-rated "technique". Kind of useless to me, actually.

Yeah I can understand why pro studios with clients keep that stuff around, but I've heard enough albums to compromise what I want to sound like with what I'm capable of sounding like, with my equipment and skill, or lack thereof.

Yeah so were the 7 or so odd albums that came before it. Sonic Youth are one of my all-time favorites, they were the first to kind of bridge the punk world and the indie/art world for me. But production-wise, I don't think there's anything special about the mixes.

I've tried since the mid 80s to like Sonic Youth, and I feel like I really should, but I just can't get into it. It's too much indie/art for me and not enough rock and melody. I do have a lot of respect for that band though, and I don't throw around respect very willingly.

Yeah I can understand why pro studios with clients keep that stuff around, but I've heard enough albums to compromise what I want to sound like with what I'm capable of sounding like, with my equipment and skill, or lack thereof.

This x 10000000000000 ^^^^^^^^

That's what it's all about. You combine everything you like that you've ever heard and filter your own shit through that collection of influences.

Exactly. I think too much psycho-acoustics come into play when you're trying to convince yourself that your guitar sounds just like the one you're referencing. :D

That says a lot I think. But I think the way their songs were mixed was part of the aesthetic.

Exactly. I think too much psycho-acoustics come into play when you're trying to convince yourself that your guitar sounds just like the one you're referencing. :D

Yeah, a recorded guitar sound has often gone through a ton of shit before it hits your ear. If you dial in a live guitar to sound like Slash on Appetite, you're gonna be sounding REALLY bright.

Yeah, a recorded guitar sound has often gone through a ton of shit before it hits your ear. If you dial in a live guitar to sound like Slash on Appetite, you're gonna be sounding REALLY bright.

This reminded me of forums/threads I read, on how to achieve Hendrix's, Gilmour's, Clapton's, Santana's <insert your guitar god here> tone!
Buying Clapton's signature guitar is the first step as always. :guitar:

This reminded me of forums/threads I read, on how to achieve Hendrix's, Gilmour's, Clapton's, Santana's <insert your guitar god here> tone!

I honestly don't know why people mess with that stuff. It's fun to goof around with I guess, but if you try in earnest to sound exactly like some guitar hero, it's just goofy to me. Getting the right equipment would be a good start I guess. You're probably not gonna sound like Hendrix with some EMG shred machine and a Line 6 practice amp. You gotta get a Strat, some Plexis, and some earplugs.

I'll always remember the story of Ven Halen opening for Ted Nugent, or maybe the other way around.

Anyway, as Eddie tells the story, Ted got on Eddie's rig during sound check and started playing....and he still sounded exactly like Ted Nugent. I don't know how true or how embellished that story is, but I never forgot it.

I'll always remember the story of Ven Halen opening for Ted Nugent, or maybe the other way around.

Anyway, as Eddie tells the story, Ted got on Eddie's rig and started playing....and he still sounded exactly like Ted Nugent. I don't know how true or how embellished that story is, but I never forgot it.

I think that can be said for anyone, really. Anyone that can play anyway. The drummer in the band I play guitar with recently told me that no matter what guitar or amp I use I always sound the same. I'm always rotating my shit, this guitar with that amp, switch em around, using different setups, etc. I took it as a compliment, but then I'm wondering "why the fuck do I have so many guitars and amps then?" :laughings:

I think rockers are often insecure about their own shit and want to hide in the shadow of some famous artist who's already earned critical impunity.

I think rockers are often insecure about their own shit and want to hide in the shadow of some famous artist who's already earned critical impunity.

It seems to me that would just illuminate their own shortcomings. If you generally sound like EVH but can't play like him, then you're gonna look like a dumbass.

I honestly don't know why people mess with that stuff. It's fun to goof around with I guess, but if you try in earnest to sound exactly like some guitar hero, it's just goofy to me. Getting the right equipment would be a good start I guess. You're probably not gonna sound like Hendrix with some EMG shred machine and a Line 6 practice amp. You gotta get a Strat, some Plexis, and some earplugs.

Yeah, I'd agree with getting the right and quality instrument and equipment. But what I don't get is that people obsessed over replicating somebody's sound. There are just too many factors to this equation - the player, the equipment, the engineers on board, etc. vs. your guitar and your 15W amp. Don't even get me started with things people debate over in guitar forums (i.e. wood). So much that it becomes more about this and that and less about just playing the guitar and rock and roll!

Yeah, I'd agree with getting the right and quality instrument and equipment. But what I don't get is that people obsessed over replicating somebody's sound. There are just too many factors to this equation - the player, the equipment, the engineers on board, etc. vs. your guitar and your 15W amp. Don't even get me started with things people debate over in guitar forums (i.e. wood). So much that it becomes more about this and that and less about just playing the guitar and rock and roll!

I agree. And to make things even crazier, those famous players themselves don't even sound like their "signature" sound. Eddie Van Halen has never sounded like he does on their debut album since they released it, and Slash has never sounded like Appetite since he recorded that album.

I agree. And to make things even crazier, those famous players themselves don't even sound like their "signature" sound. Eddie Van Halen has never sounded like he does on their debut album since they released it, and Slash has never sounded like Appetite since he recorded that album.

You can call it Slash/AFD engineer's "signature" sound. LOLZ

Back