professional plugins

dolecek1

what are the best professional high quality plugins on the market? I use cool edit pro so im looking to the buy the best availible.Right now i have izotope and waves, am i missing anything?

I'm a UAD fan myself.

Which Waves bundle are you using? I know several people who sold their Waves bundles and went over to UAD's collection...

"professional plugins" is almost an oxymoron.

Many pros process out of the box with analog gear. For example, I see many studios that run Pro Tools systems through analog boards and then process everything in analog before going back to digital, essentially using PT for recording, playback, and possibly automation only.

It's a more difficult and expensive ramp-up, but in the longer term a better investment IMHO. A good outboard compressor will be with you for life, and not be made obsolete when version x of the operating system comes out or a newer version of the underlying software. It will also very likely sound better.

That said, Waves produces a good set of plugs, in particular the L2 and Restoration plugs if you are going to master your own material. Also check out Sony Oxford plugs, Algorithmix, Crane Song (for PT users), to name a few. It really depends on the type of processing that you want to perform.

I bought a UAD card and have been really happy with it. It's a big step up from the stuff I was using before.

While I would love to have serious outboard compression, EQ and reverb, it's just not realistic (financially or technically) for someone like me, or for most people in a home recording situation I would guess.

The UAD-1 is great but it has a lot of DSP induced delay. Make sure cool edit pro has automatic delay compensation or it is a major pain in the ass to mix with it. Anybody know if Cool edit has delay compensation?

If i were u i would stay away from the CEP if possible!

try Cubase, really! Or if money allows, Nuendo!

I was once a CEp user, i had a lot of problems inserting various plug-ins. Maybe Adobe did some fixing up now...

I am not sure about the delay compensation though...

Back