problems recording midi in nuendo

callipygian

Hello

I just posted this in the MIDI section, but I thought putting it hear would reach more eyes.....

I've been trying to understand this one for a while. When I record a midi track in nuendo, using vst instruments, what I hear AS I'm recording is completely different than what is heard when I play it back. I mean, even with the latency of the vsti, which I can hear as I'm playing the keyboard, I can still make it sound how I want it to. But I'll record it, and even though when I open up the midi editor and visually recognize that the recorded notes correspond to the pattern that I was playing on the keyboard, when I play it back, it seems to miss more of the notes than play them. It sounds nothing like what I originally played.

In case it may help any gumshoes out there, of the few times the program actually will play the recorded note(s), before the project cursor even reaches the note, it starts to play it back.

What I've been trying to do lately is just use a plugin to record the same sound that my speakers are hearing. However, doing it this way turns my midi into an audio file, and that makes it a hell of a lot harder to chop out the bad parts, fix the timing, etc...especially when what I'm doing is already hard enough to play because of the latency between when I hit the keyboard and when the sound comes out of my monitors.

It's not that my cpu's too slow. The whole time that this is happening, I'll watch my processor performance window, and the cpu will barely even get to 20 or 25%, same with the hard disk. I have an intel pIII 933 MHz, with 512 MB RAM. Should be no problem. I'm almost positive that Nuendo just needs some tweeking or something.

Please help this is driving me crazy!

Nuendo (I am talking about versions up to 1.6) has real poor MIDI implementation.
Nevertheless, if I understood your problem correctly, I would suspect the VSTi rather than Nunedo. You confirmed that all notes are recorded correctly, therefore the recording part is OK.
Try changing the playback settings of your VSTi. Maybe it is set for a very long attack, in which case some real short notes could be "missed". Try using some other VSTi on that MIDI channel and see if it plays correctly.

This is a long shot, but when I first got my C-Port, I had the exact same problem. I installed the latest WDM drivers, and no difference. Finally, I tried routing the speaker outputs from the breakout box instead of the internal card's line-out and voila... inaudible latency. Works like a charm since.

Back