Problem with echo

Caz46

Hi,

I have a new NT-USB and when I first started using it it was fine except for the recording volume was too low. So I went into the Control Panel and adjusted this and since then I have had an echo, even when I put the recording volume back to how it was.

What do I need to check?

Thanks
Caz

That's the answer, I had the speakers turned on when I was recording. Thanks but unfortunately, I still have my original issue whereby the recording level is far too low?

Ok, what you experienced was feedback or the makings of it.

Mic picks up sound, it comes out the speakers, mic picks up sound from speakers, it comes out the speakers...loop to infinity.
The result, had you turned the speakers up or moved the mic closer, would have been a squeal. :)

For the low level issue, you need a reference to know what's what.
Is the level low compared to something in particular?

What software are you using and what do the input channel meters say for audio peak?
It's completely normal for a raw individual recording to sound low compared to a commercial audio product for a few reasons.
The mains ones are that a commercial audio product is the sum of many recordings which have been professionally mixed and mastered, often with competitive final volume in mind.
During those stages you might have all sorts of layers of audio complimenting each other, plus volume automation, compression etc.

During the tracking/mixing stage, final volume shouldn't be a big concern.
At that stage you just want to make sure your recordings are loud enough that the noise floor isn't a concern, but quiet enough that they don't clip or distort.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your help. I have sorted the issue with the volume control, your last message prompted me to check the software I was using and I had to set the mic up to the software which now works :-)

Back