Problem recording with Sonar- help please

osion

Hi, I posted this under "recording techniques" but that thread has kind of died so Im trying again here.

my setup is
Windows XP
Delta Audiophile 2496
Sonar 2.2
Studio Projects VTB1- (preamplifier)
Studio Projects C1 (microphone)

When I try to record, I hear this staticlike sound that reminds me of ocean waves. Sometimes when I arm the track I'm recording with, the decibel level doesn't fluctuate depending on how much noise there is, it stays constant regardless. Other times though it crazily fluctuates and even clips even though there is no noise to cause the fluctuation/clipping.

How can I figure out what is wrong? is it a setting in the soundcard's control panel, something wrong with some hardware, a setting in Sonar...
any help is appreciated,
thanks

How you got everything hooked up? Do you have your preamp cranked to the bejesus? Can you actually record anything through the mic over the static, or are you just getting static with no other signal? You check your cables? Dunno - give us more details...

i have the microphone (studio projects C1) connected to the preamplifier (Studio Projects VTB1) with a microphone cable which is connected with a 1/4 inch/RCA cable to the audiophile's left in.

I have tried recording with the preamplifier up all the way and then with it somewhere in the middle. Same static problem though the volume of the static is louder the more the preamplifier is cranked up. I havent checked the microphone cable because i only own one, I did replace the cable connecting the preamplifier to the soundcard and still have the same problem.

I am just getting static with no other signal. no sound i make while im recording goes through.

osion said:
i have the microphone (studio projects C1) connected to the preamplifier (Studio Projects VTB1) with a microphone cable which is connected with a 1/4 inch/RCA cable to the audiophile's left in.

I have tried recording with the preamplifier up all the way and then with it somewhere in the middle. Same static problem though the volume of the static is louder the more the preamplifier is cranked up. I havent checked the microphone cable because i only own one, I did replace the cable connecting the preamplifier to the soundcard and still have the same problem.

I am just getting static with no other signal. no sound i make while im recording goes through.

Well then. The problem must be one of the following:

faulty mic cable.
faulty mic.
faulty preamp.
faulty sound card.

The only way you're gonna determine which of these it is is to replace components, one by one, just like you did with your line-level cable.
Start with mic cable.
If that's okay, try a different mic.
If that's okay, try plugging something else directly into the soundcard (eliminates faulty soundcard).

Get the idea?

Back