probably the Toughest Instrument to record:

Vadim

What's the standard/best way to record an accordion?

what are the typical mics used for accordion? what's the placement since one side of accordion is moving all the time?
preamps?

what are the typical mics used for accordion? what's the placement since one side of accordion is moving all the time?
preamps?

Never done it, but the first thing I'd try is a couple of omni's in a good room several feet away, and move things around from there 'til you find something you like.

Plug one end of a 1/4" cable into your direct box and the other end into your keyboard. Then, on your keyboard select sound 73 "Accordion". :D

Plug one end of a 1/4" cable into your direct box and the other end into your keyboard. Then, on your keyboard select sound 73 "Accordion". :D
on my keyboard it's not 73....
but that's how I always record accordion.

But you know, sometimes some accordionist wants to make an album.
or there's a great button accordion player, which can't play the keyboard, so the only way to record his playing is recording his accordion.

You can record a guitar using keyboard workstation or software. but some people still record live guitars.
so, I still have to know accordion recording techniques. (especially here in U.S., where people only listen to "live" music, well... not just Live, but just Guitars/Bass/Drums, but anyways....)

on my keyboard it's not 73....
but that's how I always record accordion.

But you know, sometimes some accordionist wants to make an album.
or there's a great button accordion player, which can't play the keyboard, so the only way to record his playing is recording his accordion.

You can record a guitar using keyboard workstation or software. but some people still record live guitars.
so, I still have to know accordion recording techniques. (especially here in U.S., where people only listen to "live" music, well... not just Live, but just Guitars/Bass/Drums, but anyways....)
I've never had the opportunity to record accordion, but if my memory serves me (which I don't 100% guarantee), most of the zydeco guys keep it pretty simple with the mic in front and maybe just below the accordion, angled up towards it. I don't think specifying any one part of the body for pointing the mic is that big of a deal, especially since - unless the accordion is on a stand - it's probably going to move around a fair amount; but most of the sound I believe is going to be coming from the grille above the treble keyboard, as that's where where the reeds and tone chamber are located.

As far as mic selection, I have no idea on official recommendations, but I'd probably treat it much like a sax in that regard; a simple Sennheiser 421 or 441 or an even simpler SM57.

G.

ohhhhhhhhh man, every time i hear of recording accordions, it reminds me of this story my rec. arts teacher told us...i guess there was a local accordion club with 30-40 guys who would get together and jam out from time to time. after doing this for a while, they decided it would be cool to get some recordings of them playing.

needless to say, i guess it was the biggest clusterfuck of noise that anyone's ever heard...it probably doesn't sound too funny on here, but it sure as hell was when he was describing it

and on another note, the same teacher, whose recorded damn near every instrument imaginable, claims that the digideroo(sp?) was the toughest to mic up properly

Q: What's the true definition of an optimist?
A: A professional accordian player with a pager.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Actually I'm hearing more and more accordian on new recordings, and if used correctly, it really adds a lot. I wish I could play one.

accordion is such an instrument, that you can basicly add Drums and Bass, and sometimes a trumpet, to play along with it, or it will "cover" all the other instruments.

So if I will be recording accordion it will either be a solo performance with singing.
or maybe to play a solo, since the sound of accordion is so fat and rich.

and on another note, the same teacher, whose recorded damn near every instrument imaginable, claims that the digideroo(sp?) was the toughest to mic up properly

Really? I've actually recorded a didge and found that the toughest part was splicing it apart in post because my didge player completely lost tempo.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I just pointed an S-12 at the business end and called it good.

(sample here)

it's really not that hard to record.
i'd say piano is much harder really.....

but, remember that it's almost 2 instruments, though it doesn't always call for 2 mics. just listen to the instrument and see where the hi and low sides mix like you want them to.

mixing one is a much larger challenge, like another poster said, if the arrangement is anything more then sparce, it will often cover of be covered.

it helps the accordian player knows when to play out, and when to back off. in a larger arrangement it requires near magic to have them be heard all the time.

just mixed an album with an accordian, 3 violins, clairinet, guitar, cello, and a poik.
tracked live.

that my friend, was a bitch. :eek:

Last edited:
I'd keep it as simple as possible, go with an XY pair of clean SDCs, or a Jecklin disc if you have one, something that will get you a complete picture without a lot of futzing around. Then, just spend a little time positioning the mics and the accordion to where the best sound is. I'd start with the mics in the center of the long side of the room, about 1/3 of the way out from the wall, at ear level, and the accordion in the dumpster out back.

ohhhhhhhhh man, every time i hear of recording accordions, it reminds me of this story my rec. arts teacher told us...i guess there was a local accordion club with 30-40 guys who would get together and jam out from time to time. after doing this for a while, they decided it would be cool to get some recordings of them playing.

needless to say, i guess it was the biggest clusterfuck of noise that anyone's ever heard...it probably doesn't sound too funny on here, but it sure as hell was when he was describing it

Wow! 30-40 accordians playing simultaneously! Makes my ears hurt thinking about it.

And.......... How about bagpipes for the toughest instrument to record?

Last edited:

preamps?

No idea what is standard. I record at least two feet away from a single mike within the Quick Sound Field. I pay more attention to where the treble side is relative to the mike. I use an M130 for a smooth sound or an AT4050 in figure 8 for a cutting sound.

Cheers,

Otto

It sucks if you have a creaking accordian like i do.

I guess a stereo pair would sound pretty neat, maybe it would create a realistic image of an accordian.

but i don't really know I just drop my at2020 (great mic) on it from a bout 12 inches away.

how close should i be micing instruments with a large diagphragm condenser? I usually do my acoustic guitar pretty close up (6-12 inches) away on the twelfth fret. what do I gain from moving it back... a sound that produces more of an image of a room? (creating reverb etc?)

also what does ymmv mean?

how close should i be micing instruments with a large diagphragm condenser? I usually do my acoustic guitar pretty close up (6-12 inches) away on the twelfth fret. what do I gain from moving it back... a sound that produces more of an image of a room? (creating reverb etc?)

also what does ymmv mean?

you get a more true image of the instrument for one (the entire instrument projects sound to lesser and greater extents), and more room sound.
room sound can be good or bad depending on the room in question, and how you want the instrument to play in the mix.

ymmv = your mileage may vary.

Back