Presonus Firepod bitcrusher kinda glitch and shrunk tracks.

Soulgolem

Okay, really desperate here, I would really appreciate some help as I've tried everything.

Been trying to work out the presonus firepod for the last 3 months, but nothing worked.

Here are the symptoms :

1) strange artifacts, noise and glitches are added to the recorded sound, kinda like a bit crusher effect used on the tracks. This glitch can be heard either on playback, or while I record on the phones output of the firepod.

2) as I record, the tracks on Cubase don't "grow" as fast as the time cursor line, when I stop the recording, the tracks shrink, to various sizes.

3) those symptoms seem to be intermitent, sometimes I only have 1) sometimes both, and once and only once did the recording worked well.

Here is what I have tried :

- every possible combination of settings as for latency, drivers settings, etc.
- installing a fresh windows on a new partition with sp2 (I had sp1 installed prior)
- trying another firewire cable
- trying the firepod on my mac laptop (that worked, but only tested once)

Dunno what else to do !!!! HELP !! This is delaying all by projects.

On a side note (though this doesn't constitute a problem) on my old windows sp1, the pc would recognize my MOTU Ultralite but ask for sp2 to go through with the installation. On the fresh windows sp2 install, the pc just doesn't see it !?!?!?

The computer is an AMD Athlon with 2 gigs of RAM. Recording goes on an another internal hard drive, using Cubase as a software, when I tried the firepod on my laptop, I used the same Cubase.

Francis.

Soulgolem said:
Here is what I have tried :

- every possible combination of settings as for latency, drivers settings, etc.
- installing a fresh windows on a new partition with sp2 (I had sp1 installed prior)
- trying another firewire cable
- trying the firepod on my mac laptop (that worked, but only tested once)

If the Mac worked, odds are it's a driver problem. Contact Presonus if you can't figure it out, but make sure you download the latest version of the Windows driver from their website and try that first.

Soulgolem said:
Dunno what else to do !!!! HELP !! This is delaying all by projects.

On a side note (though this doesn't constitute a problem) on my old windows sp1, the pc would recognize my MOTU Ultralite but ask for sp2 to go through with the installation. On the fresh windows sp2 install, the pc just doesn't see it !?!?!?

Windows SP2 has badly broken FireWire support for some chipsets. I think it was something asinine like not setting the PHY to the right speed or something. :D There's a hot fix available. Ask one of the Windows gurus.

Back