Preamp/USB interface for use without a computer?

davidm

I'm looking for a 2 channel mic preamp / USB interface that can also be used just as a mic preamp, without connection to a computer. It also needs to supply 2 x 48V phantom power.

Basically, I want to record myself (guitar/voice) in my living room onto tape, for me to listen and learn about how I'm playing/singing, without a computer. But I also want to do some computer recording and don't want to buy multiple devices if I can avoid it. I'd prefer USB for the interface (despite it's limitations).

I'm wondering if the Lexicon Omega can do this, since it has it's own power supply. I only need 2 channels, so the Lambda may work if it could accept power from a USB hub.

If an all-in-one doesn't work, of course I could use an independent mic preamp for tape recording (e.g. DMP3), then port to a simple 2 channel analog-to-USB converter. But, I can't seem to find one of the latter that has good ratings on musiciansfriend / zzsounds. The Behringer UCA202 is well rated but guessing that's due to its price. The Transit seems to have many complaints.

All advice appreciated. Thanks, David

Back