Preamp options for drums...

5stringer

Hello everyone... I'm currently recording a classic rock band. The drummer has a single kick, two mounted toms and a floor tom. I have an API 3124 preamp and (2) LA 610s. My plan was to use 2 SM57s on the snare (top n bottom), a D112 inside the sound hole of the kick and a sub kick outside. MD421's on the toms and SM81's for overheads.

My question is how to use the preamps I have? One option would be to use the APIs on both snare mics and both kick mics and LA610s on overheads? The other drums would use the stock Focusrite Saphire pres. What do you think of this configuration ....is there a better option for utilizing these pres? I have my eye on a Pacifica or a pair of P1s for overheads in the near future...

Send me your preamps and Ill figure out what you should do and get them back to you ASAP.

PM me and I'll give you my address.

Im not kidding.

I'd say that mic placement and having an excellent drummer are the primary considerations, then mic choice, then preamp choice.

It all really depends on choosing an appropriate mic setup first.

Do you have other mics as well? Room mic? Crush mic? Mic's suitable for M/S recording?

use your best preamp channels,
on the PRIME snare and kick mics........
in other words, if you are only going to use a BIT of bottom snare in the mix, versus top,
i wouldn't waste a channel of the API on that, use one of the focusrite channels...
same for kick.

the overheads may be more critical than the toms,
and driving the 610's on the overheads would probably sound better than going light on the overheads with the focusrite...

Overheads and I would let the toms bleed to the other mics. I am not an expert, but when I was doing some drum recording I found the Toms bled all over the place and I really didn't need to mic. Kick and Snare was close mic'ed was just a matter of mic placement. Overheads were what gave me the biggest trouble and make for the worse sound if not right.

I suggest doing 4 mics and putting your best on the overheads and make sure they have the sound you want. Do a few runs.

use your best preamp channels,
on the PRIME snare and kick mics........
in other words, if you are only going to use a BIT of bottom snare in the mix, versus top,
i wouldn't waste a channel of the API on that, use one of the focusrite channels...
same for kick.

the overheads may be more critical than the toms,
and driving the 610's on the overheads would probably sound better than going light on the overheads with the focusrite...

I see what you're saying Gonzo. I'm not sure how much bottom snare mic I will need at this point. The band is coming today to track the basics so I'll listen to both and see. So I guess you prefer the LA610s on overheads instead of the APIs? ...or is it that you don't like the LA610s on drums?

Back