Pre-final mix..Posterior Appreciation Blues

theron

Hey peoples,
I'm working on my first home "demo" and this is the last tune that still needs tracks. I'm waiting on my bro to cut a solo git track and (hopefully) a bass git track.
It will be obvious that these are missing.

In the interim, I was hoping to get some help and opinions on the song as it stands.
I'd love to hear anything on the song, performance,lyrics, tenative mix...whatever. I trust I will have a more solid song when I've exposed the base to your ears.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/theron/singles
The song is called "Posterior Appreciation Blues"

Theron.

i would compress the lead more, it fits with the rhythm well when playing at lower notes, but then sticks right out when playing higher, it even distracts me from listening to the vocal. Plus, since it's so repetative, you might as well treat it as rhythm and push it back with other rhythm elements. That's the only complaint from me :)

Musically, I would add a guitar, trumpet or piano solo at 1:50 instead of playing the same riff as earlier over and over again.

Lovely sounding mix, even on the crappy pc speakers I got. Those background vocals were cool as hell, I thought it was my neighbor yelling for a sec from distant :) awsome!

AL

Hey A1A2,
That "lead" that you said should be rhythm is rhythm. I guess it is a little too up in the mix. Like I said in the intro post, I will be adding a lead git soon during the "over and over" section. Thanks for the praise on the back-up vox tracks. I hoped to have a squad of voices to help me but, I had to do the cuts myself. Your positive comments have helped ease some reservations.

Thanks alot for the listen.

Theron.

Awsome, can't wait to hear the song when your bro adds the solo!

Yeah, cut some of the top mids on the "lead guitar" (sorry for not catching that in the first place) and then you will be set. Try to have you and your brother standing around the mic and do the background vocal together if you would, I have gotten some good results like that for bVocal.

Rock on!

AL

great lyrics as usual..

I dont like the sound of the drum beat. It was distracting for me. It is a pretty chill song though... It will be much better with bass...

The part around 3:25ish about the 'spare tire' had a very cool sound with that strange thing you did.....until just after it when something happened with the vocals..(I swear I'm in a day dream etc.) They started to become off.. The little guitar leads starting at around 55ish had some crackling also..

Overall cool tune and great lyrics as always. I really dont like the sound of that high hat and snare though.. I'm sure it will be better with a nice thick bass sound..

very cool lyrics dude..:cool:

later
sam

Ok, I listened on the headphones and it sounds too wide. I would like to see guitars closer together. It might be cool on speakers though. I guess I don't like that it's too dry and singger and the drums appear too close.

Also, and this is realy nit picking, the very begining drum build up and the guitar intro are a little out of synq. I don't know what causes it, I was claping and tapping here while listening and I think it's the drums' little fill at :06 that just makes me "cringe" a little :). I know this is very small and maybe it's just me.

I like the groove and all, but not too crazy about the mixin yet, but you did say there will be bass (which is obviously missing) and lead so it might change then, all MHO.

cheers

A1A2- I can't wait for the solo either. I'll get that second rhythm git to fit in better. Thanks

Sam- Thanks for the compliments on the lyrics! I agree that the drum is kinda rambunctious. If it is still as overbearing with the lead git and bass, then I'll trade it out. I liked the way the backup vox "that strange thing I did" turned out. I recheck and maybe recut the "a little off...." part.
Thanks alot for your ear and comments.

Fed- I havn't listened on cans to this one. That might be why you hear the mix too spread out. What do you mean by "too dry and singger"? Not enough verb on the vox?
Thanks for your time and attention.

Theron.

Fun lyrics. The vocal bit at ~3:20 was cool.

I agree about bass and lead guit, they'll add greatly when they're in.

I thought the drums, especially the cymbals, could be brought back a bit in the mix.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the backing vocals (the "ooohs and aahhs") was out of sorts. Perhaps it's because there are no other backing vocals and they seem to come out of left field after you're well into the song. Maybe introduce backing vocals a little earlier and/or cut some highs out.

I think heavier vocal reverb would make it better.

Good song.

Ok, I listened again and I think it's totaly perception thing. The way I hear it, reminds me of when we practice with the band in the basement or hearing the stage monitors. Don't take it the wrong way. It might be just me, and there is no bass and lead yet. But if I'm right and others hear it too it probably is verb and panning issue.

Listening againg......
I guess it has that "small bar" kind of sound. So it might be a good thing. I'm no expert at drum sound but you might want to mess with that snare. ;) It has snap to it but it's realy muffled so it sounds like cardboard.

Sorry I don't have any "real" tips like "200Hz up 2db" type thing.
I think it will change a lot when you have bass. And you will probably want to mix it differently.

cheers

I really dont like the sound of that high hat and snare though..

I 2nd Sam's comments -- the cymbals are annoying. I don't know much, but I don't think the addition of a bass would help that.

The lyrics, as has been said, are fun, though the singing lacks some soul, like you're holding back. The backing vocals around 3:18 work well in bringing up the intensity -- more of this at the end?

Nice groove!

g

theron - nice stuff. I like the concept and it was executed pretty well. My main complaint is that I found the vocal difficult to distinguish. I think something was competing in the same frequency range, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Whatever, it made the words difficult to make out, and that's one of the song's strengths.

I agree with Sammy, I didn't like the drums much at all. And I thought the vocal part from around 3:23 - 3:33 was either off key or didn't fit (although it seems that other people liked that part, so... ).

I'd like to hear it when you get the lead guitar tracked. Good work.

ahhh.........sweet feadback........
Thanks to all for the VERY helpful comments and suggestions. So far, it is just what I was hoping for.

TripleM- yeah, it sounds like the drums gotta go. I'll swap them out and pay closer attention to how they fit the mood of the song. The backup vox are gonna stay. I just don't know how often and exactly were to apply them. I'll wait for the lead git. Thanks for the listen. It is encouraging.

Fed- I'll experiment with a less agressive pan on the rhthm git. Maybe it is too wide. The d-track will get additional attention. I think I was plain old wrong in my drum choices. Wow, you've listened three times. Hope you're ok<smiles>

gmiller-bad drums!bad! I seem to lose my pitch when I sing too agressively. I will try a recut on the vox and see If I can't nail the vox down and get more "soul"into it. I like singing this tune so, it won't be a chore. Thanks for you time dude.

dachay2tnr- Thanks much for your ear. As far as vocal clarity goes, do you think I should toy with some eq settings to crisp the vox up? Or, is it the effect on the vox that is causing it to tresspass and get absorbed by other tracks? I want the vox to be solid on this one. Your comments help me get there.

Still can't get my bro into the studio to record. I might have to become such a pest and pain that he cuts the track so I leave him alone!!

Theron.

"Posterior Appreciation Blues" ???...

I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CAN NOT LIE
& YOU OTHER BROTHERS WON'T DENY
WHEN A GIRL WALKS BY WITH AN ITTY-BITTY WASTE
AND A ROUND THING IN YOUR FACE
YOU GET SPRUNG...;)

So, I saw that "A Reel Person" had responded to my post and was sooo eager to hear the comments. I happen to like his "board personna and knowlege". When I read his post, I wasn't disapointed a bit!! And I bet he didn't even listen.

Hail, hail to the backside that shakes and makes ya re-learn how to breath......

... or should I say,... "I" get SPRUNG!!!

-ron, thanx for the compliment, and you're very perceptive, I didn't even listen, haha,... but I will soon. If you've followed my posts, you'll know I'm not a big fan of MP3's, and only have a "one download every few days"-tolerance.

BTW, "Fat-bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go 'round!";) [Now get on your bicycles and RIDE!];)

Cool song!

You really got da blues goin on!

Seems like the backing guitar needs to come up a little.
You should definatly expand those backing vocals,they sound good!
Mabey make them part of the rythm,have them answer the guitar or something.

I dig it!

Best to you,
Pete

The mix sounds it has enough space, and flows quite good. The drumbeat sounds like lazy drunken walking, and fits the song style perfectly :) . Kinda mushy, but good. The snare drum sounds a little canned though. The guitars are a little quiet, comparing to the drums. The vocals are mixed just fine as far as I can tell. I can imagine the solos to spice up this song quite well. Oh, and bass too.

Museman-.......Thanks for the listen. I'm gonna toy around with some more backup vox ideas. The Blues is a great style of music and tons of fun to write to.

Crankyone-........I think you're the only except me who likes the d track. Perhaps I can make it work. I hope it fits better with all the elements of the song in place.
thanks,

Theron.

hey theron,
I agree on getting more backups in there, they sounded great. I don't think the drums are too bad, I'd love to get more of that sizzle on the hat like that!

I'd say that bassline will add the world to this song :) May I also suggest a little more compression on the lead vocs?

Peace, S/R

Thanks for the listen S/R. I retracked the vox last night using a bit of outboard compression(for the first time) They sit much better in the mix and I think the vocal clarity is also improved. I really need to get that bass track and lead git in there before I can decide if the drums are what I want. I need to write more backup vox as well. I like the sound too but, don't wanna repeat the same thing too much.
THanks.

Theron.

Back