Power trio take #2483

Doug H

I'll be there
Another try to get "the sound"

It's one of a bunch of "same old tunes" I've been working on 15 minutes a night. I've been way to busy at work to do any tracking so there nothing new but...

...the drums :) (and bass too).

I actually got some real samples. The down side is they sound like ass, I have to get a better set, but hey, velocity splits are velocity splits.

I went to a bottom heavy production phylosophy for just guitar bass and drums but I think there may be too much bass. It also has a bit of that "band behind the hihat" radio thing going on.

Ending kind of drags on a bit, but the general idea is there.

Any opinions welcome. Mostly Im looking for general mix stuff. I'm trying to get it to sound glued together.

Top song
Sure Looks Good

hi there,
your song sounds good. The drums sound good. I'm going to guess how you mixed this based on what it sounds like to me.
the stereo feild is really wide sounding...are the tracks doubled and then panned left and right? It seems to me, that there is nothing in the center field....but i hear everything out of both monitors. I think that there should be another guitar part to the song....it's just the slightest bit too repetative....but, the sounds are all good, the vocals are nice. good recording. I just feel like the mix needs some polishing.
Jason

It's just a straight mix with some reverb.
I've thought about using a second guitar in this for the "theme" breaks and the lead, but I'd like to keep it simple. I think I might envelope the track a bit between versus.

Thanks.

I like the guitar sound, real cool.

1:37 - 'oh, but she sure looks good'

Phrasing sounded odd there, 'sure' was a bit late, could be better.
I hear 'sure' landing with the snare and 'sure' dragged out a bit, and the rest of the phrase falling the way it does now.

Vocal sound / reverb a bit roomy / echoish, a touch loud in spots, could use a bit of compression to even it out.

I dig the whole groove though, reminds me a bit of the cult meets 'safety dance' - men without hats.

Cool stuff, nice groove.

Men Without Hats, the only band from that era that I liked. The lead singer was too cool.

The draggy "sure" line is some perhaps poorly executed stylistics. I'm with ya on the reverb vox. I tried to give them a bit more than the rest of the mix, but it didn't quite work out. I think I need deeper instead of louder.

Thanks for listening.

Doug, sounds like the singer's drunk in parts, which I kind of dig for the vibe. He at least sounds affected... :)

There may be some slight intonation problems between the guitar and bass as it's not always jiving. Maybe it's just me, but in spots it seems a little out.

I like the jangly guitar sound, but you might do good to mix in another flavor during the solo parts. I like the sort of drugged out feeling you get by holding those notes...

The drums get old and don't have much dynamic feeling.

Overall, I would say to add some more guitars to fill in and build up the song. Some backup vocals might work. A real drummer who can get down and dirty on the vibe would make the whole difference as well. Playing some more sustained noted on bass during your solo and bringing in some big chord washy guitars for rhythm might be cool there also.

This is a really cool song!

Warren

Doug H

I love what you've got there so far!

Everything sounds nice and balanced on my speakers.

I think you do sound a little waisted there in spots on the vocals but, that's cool. It adds to the feel of the track. I would like to hear the vocal up about a db as it's a little too far back in the mix right now.

If you have plans to add a good organ sound to this track, I think that would be a great idea! I could hear one in my brain, mid way through the track and trading solos at the tail of the track with another lead guitar to do some moaning and groaning call and responses.

I don't know if the track really needs backing vocals but if you do add some make 'em up high and screamin'!

The drum samples sound great and I would have been completely fooled that they weren't real if you hadn't of mentioned it.

Great track! I like it very much so far.

Cheers! :)

Hey Doug, some real vintage/raw sounds there on the left guits. Nice open arrangement, keeping it clear lets the writing of the parts shine through. Some looseness in the vox and i think they could come up a shade in the mix. Got a very dirty smoky back room feel to it, that riffing guitar is carrying everything on it's back.

Warhead
I might have been :) I can't recall. It's supposed to be sung like a moment of frank clarity at some party that's gone on too long.
I can't tune to bas samples for shit. They don't really seem to sit anywhere. Guitar was kind of out of tune when I tracked this. Close enough to keep at the time, but it needs redoing.
That drawl feeling on the sustained notes is me trying to find the pitch lol.
I hear bass in the last half as well, working on it.

Thanks for checking it out.

The Ghost of FM
I tried some backing vocals but didn't get very far, nothings really hit me yet. High and screaming was what I had in mind as well, sort of like a cry for help. (run away! run away!)

Cool about the drums. That and overall all oomph are my biggest concerns right now.

Thanks man!

Khompewtur
"Got a very dirty smoky back room feel to it"
right on, that's the holy grail for me :)

vocals are already inched up a bit.

thanks!

Man, that's a great guitar tone! Sounds nice.

The bottom sounds real good to me actually. You're probably going to want to add some compression or do some fader riding on the vocals in the chorus. The verses sit pretty well.

Good tune.

Tom

I've done some enveloping on the vocals already to get the chorus down, It could probably use a bit more. Actually, I just had an idea, I"m gonna try a layered chorus back set a bit for the hell of it, sort of an Allanis "illusions" type thing (heard that on the radio the other day). It should suite the song and fill it out a bit.

btw, I'm still looking forward to doing some stereo tracking and seeing if it works for me, but I haven't had time to do any recording in a while. I fooled around using some copied/panned/muted tracks as reverb sources but it didn't work out too well for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for listening.

Cool tune!

I don't think there's anything harder than power-trio stuff. And I can't imagine even trying without a real drummer - I gotta tip my hat to you there! Vocal sounds cool - good voice and well sung - let me add to the others who said that it could come up a bit. I guess your bass player (you) needs to get a little busier 'cause it's just you and the drummer in a lot of spots. (I dig the guitar tone and playing, by the way!!) The mix is good - stuff is plalced where it should be - I'd just like to hear the bass kickin' some major ass and playing it like a rhythm guitar. My two euro-cents. Overall a tune worth working on!!
~Milan

Good song. I like your strat tone, the individual strings are discernable from each other-and there isnt so much distortion that your touch on the instrument is lost in a wall of sound.

You rush into the arpeggios pretty regularly though.

Those snare fills in the first chorus didnt sound natural-the first big tip off that it wasnt a real drummer. The cymbals accents after the second chorus are a good idea and something a real drummer would do--but they didnt sound so real...maybe some verb on the crashes??

Sounds like you could use another instrument in there-a hammond or another guitar just doing some basic rhythym work.

Go wild on the solo man! Sounds like you didnt get above the 7th fret or so on that solo-made it sound like something was missing...always tough soloing in a trio and keepeing the power up as you solo..I know..

I liked the song-on my 5th listen as I type-good real trio sound.

Wow! This is a MAJOR improvement over the last version of this song I heard.

I think the drums *sound* is fine. Only thing is when the lineup is this stripped down you gotta have more variety in the drums. More fills, changes, etc. But as far as the sound goes - a hellofa step upwards.

Come to think of it I could use some more variety in the bassline as well, especially during the solo - let that bassman walk around a little.:)

Your vox style is one of my faves on the board. You don't hold anything back - you just let it rip. Dig that very much.

Oh: cut that opening 2 measures of drums out, for sure. I often have a 2 measure lead in to my stuff and I always forget to cut it out later.:D

Chris

missed the first version but

I SURE like what I am hearing here.
Now.........you NEED to heed groucho's advice.
You got 85% of it licked, now you just got to fancy up the rhythm
section a bit with some tasty fills, (not too many).
And a trick I like to use is to have one bass line for the vocal part and a slightly altered part for when its just the 3 instruments playing.
I've done years of 3 piece stage work and it seems to translate well to recording.
Of course this is all strictly IMO:)

Good Song:)

MC Gitarz
Thanks man, and I'm totally with ya on the bass comments, the sparse mix needs it.

Stratomaster
Ya, I got some comments about pickng it up the last time I posted and I think it's partly because the guitar is pulling on the tempo quite a bit. I may have timed it a bit slow.
I could try some more verb on the "overheads" thanks.
I've finally got plans for the guitar through the end, jsut have to wait till there's time to retrack it
Thanks for listening.

groucho
I've just recently graduated to yellow belt drum programmer lol, meaning I'm starting to change the rythmn up a bit at the end of four bar patterns. Got a few new things pencilled in since I posted this.
heh, the drums stuff at the start is actually supposed to be an intro :(, lol, maybe I should work it up a bit.

Thanks for checking it out again, It's good to hear the comparisons.

HevyD47Ca
:) thanks man. I'm down with pretty much everything that's been said and working on it.

I must be hearing a remix because this sounds pretty good.. nice guitar sound! the drums sound better except when they're alone, and on the fills.. the beat it self sounds better.. I would sacrifice a few of those drum fills or adjust them.. this is a good tune.. there's a long space at the end where not much happens.. maybe some more aggressive soloing or more vocals would be cool.. cool.

Ya, I've got some plans for the ending, maybe some "tail chorus" type singing, but a bit more instrumentation for sure.

I was hoping I'd get away with the badabadabada snare hits, I'll have to play with them some more.

Thanks man!

The samples don't sound bad (I actually kind like that snare :eek: ) and the guitar tone is cool. I dig the "drunken" vocal thing. Really adds to the whole vibe of the tune.:cool:

I think a thin, lightly distorted rythym guitar playing some open chords in the background would be cool. Especially from the 2:25 point on.

It is missing some of the feel that would come from a real rythym section. Pretty good for canned stuff though.;)

Back